Death in the family and inheritance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last month I ran down to check on my last living uncle who lived on family land and found him passed. Of course no will and probate will need to run its course. Im pretty sure my brother and I have found his only real item not paid. The last 160 acres purchased and was being leased for interest charges. But well enough in the bank to just pay that off once probate is complete.

My question is. Any way to run a total search for land ownership? Ive located 1200 acres just by looking in the area of our family land.

So many old cars. trucks. SO many tractors. So must STUFF to deal with. Thankfully our family has been working in shifts to clean the houses and barns on the property up, and get them secured.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First i would start at the county tax office and run a search on the property tax in his name (some counties has it listed on line) then would go to a land title company and do a search. But this is from someone that hasnt a clue either but where i would start.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last month I ran down to check on my last living uncle who lived on family land and found him passed. Of course no will and probate will need to run its course. Im pretty sure my brother and I have found his only real item not paid. The last 160 acres purchased and was being leased for interest charges. But well enough in the bank to just pay that off once probate is complete.

My question is. Any way to run a total search for land ownership? Ive located 1200 acres just by looking in the area of our family land.

So many old cars. trucks. SO many tractors. So must STUFF to deal with. Thankfully our family has been working in shifts to clean the houses and barns on the property up, and get them secured.
I'll come take it all off your hands for the low low price of nine-dy nine, ninedy five!

Seriously though, if you know the county I can show you where to search it up online. Like Rick said I would also go down to the Tax assessor's office and make sure that's all of them and there's not anything hung up in transit, recently defaulted on, etc.

Sorry for your loss. I hope you enjoy the sorting though. I love a good estate sorting myself. And because I've seen so many, I made arrangements so that my own kids won't have to go through much to get my own junk sorted and sold.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First i would start at the county tax office and run a search on the property tax in his name (some counties has it listed on line) then would go to a land title company and do a search. But this is from someone that hasnt a clue either but where i would start.
And I knew my uncle and grandpa were always buying land when they could. I didnt expect 2k acres. I picked up a 34ft pull behind camper last week and set it up on the homestead. Giving us a home base to go through items. Will have internet in a few days for cameras. for now neighbors are keeping eyes on things.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll come take it all off your hands for the low low price of nine-dy nine, ninedy five!

Seriously though, if you know the county I can show you where to search it up online. Like Rick said I would also go down to the Tax assessor's office and make sure that's all of them and there's not anything hung up in transit, recently defaulted on, etc.

Sorry for your loss. I hope you enjoy the sorting though. I love a good estate sorting myself. And because I've seen so many, I made arrangements so that my own kids won't have to go through much to get my own junk sorted and sold.
Its the little things. Like my wife and I have taken the stupid passcodes off our phones. I have no idea what he used on his. I can answer it when it rings, But no texts or pics. That will all be lost.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I bet you would!. I think its a pretty pennys worth.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For that much property, I would probably consider getting a lawyer.

Someone told me once, if you hate your family be sure you die without a will. THAT'LL show 'em!
We picked one in the area of the land. My mom is the last living sibling. My brother and I are her only spawn. She's already chosen to just deed it to him and I. At least 2 of the properties we deem as homesteads we will always keep. Unsure on the other parts yet. I don't foresee any family squabble. But who ever knows.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ll second the recommendation for talking to an attorney who specializes in wills and trusts/estate planning. With that much land, this is going to be a big estate, and may even be big enough that inheritance taxes are going to be a factor—even if you only assess the land at $1K/acre, which is insanely low these days, you’re looking at $2M in dirt alone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom