Death in the family and inheritance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes shes the last sibling. No other offspring but my brother and I. No wills. It was always meant to keep passing down the land. Almost all is graze and farmland. One section will be worth a little more being its next to a lake/ camping spots/ golf course/ housing edition.
You missed the point.

Did your mother and Uncle have any siblings that preceded them in death? Unless stillborn, it could easily impact the division of the property.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, but I would think even beyond that a good lawyer would know how to uncover assets you might overlook?
And yes. We will have the lawyer dig for more. Land in Colorado. Land in Washington. That has been passed down. unknown size and locations. My grandparents never sold land. When it was passed down to them, they always kept it. And I know we should have made him keep better records. But we didnt expect to lose him this soon.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And yes. We will have the lawyer dig for more. Land in Colorado. Land in Washington. That has been passed down. unknown size and locations. My grandparents never sold land. When it was passed down to them, they always kept it. And I know we should have made him keep better records. But we didnt expect to lose him this soon.
One more thing I'll say is, please keep us updated either in this thread or another one. I'm sure others will be facing the same thing as we all age up and death creeps up on us.I'm in my 70s and I feel him breathing on my neck some days.

Estate planning in the old days was "Imma name my kids TinkerTanker Jr so they can inherit my stuff without any gub'ment gettin involved! (insert optional spit of tobacco here)"

It's just recently (since the 70s maybe?) that the government has been getting more and more heavy handed with stealing wealth of the citizens. Government doesn't need wealth. Government isn't a for-profit business or person.

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes shes the last sibling. No other offspring but my brother and I. No wills. It was always meant to keep passing down the land. Almost all is graze and farmland. One section will be worth a little more being its next to a lake/ camping spots/ golf course/ housing edition.
Yes, but your mother is just one of the siblings.

The question is did your mother's brothers and sisters have kids also? Because they will get a share of the land too. It's going to flow down from your grandfather. and it's also going to depend on what your uncle bought himself on his own. Sounds like you need an attorney bro!

ETA: Mad Professor already got my point across. I tYpe sLow... lol

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, but your mother is just one of the siblings.

The question is did your mother's brothers and sisters have kids also? Because they will get a share of the land too. It's going to flow down from your grandfather. and it's also going to depend on what your uncle bought himself on his own. Sounds like you need an attorney bro!

ETA: Mad Professor already got my point across. I tYpe sLow... lol
No my uncles did not have offspring. And yes we have retained an attorney. This is just still fresh. Because we know it will be a little weird. My grandma passed in 2020 and her and my grandpas bank account was still active . Little things like those.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
talk to an attorney and don't forget to get a good accountant CPA that is well versed in estate taxes and such. i know if you file an estate tax return you can bring all the land values up to current value. same with the farm machinery

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
talk to an attorney and don't forget to get a good accountant CPA that is well versed in estate taxes and such. i know if you file an estate tax return you can bring all the land values up to current value. same with the farm machinery
My in-laws are both CPA’s. Adding an uncle on the other side of the family is also a cpa. We have had them combing through the tote after tote of paperwork looking for deeds. Abstracts. Titles. Etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom