Death in the family and inheritance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very Blessed enjoy the land sorry for the loss!
I have MANY years of happy times on the parts we call the homestead sections. Its where I learned to drive at 7. Had my first truck at 12. My brother and I were free farm labor for years during harvest time. Its where we both got our strong work ethics.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started dealing with this a year ago with my dad passing and he left the youngest daughter as the executive of the estate and trust and to this day it hasnt been finalized because she is dragging her feet and prolonging it so she gets most of the benefits of it she wont even produce a copy of the trust to the other siblings to know what is in it and the lawyer that she was using up and retired in the middle of it all, so its a waiting game but for me it isnt worth the fight to start pushing anything. It just seems when their is a death in the family all the bad blood comes to the surface when a profit is involved.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started dealing with this a year ago with my dad passing and he left the youngest daughter as the executive of the estate and trust and to this day it hasnt been finalized because she is dragging her feet and prolonging it so she gets most of the benefits of it she wont even produce a copy of the trust to the other siblings to know what is in it and the lawyer that she was using up and retired in the middle of it all, so its a waiting game but for me it isnt worth the fight to start pushing anything. It just seems when their is a death in the family all the bad blood comes to the surface when a profit is involved.
I hate it when families fight over whats left. An old friend of mine has stopped talking to his 3 sisters when they literally cut him out of all of his fathers estate. We have just myself , brother and mother here. From this side of the family. so im hoping its a smooth transfer.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would talk to your brother and ask him if anything your uncle owned is worth you and your brother's relationship. And I'm sure he'll say no, let's be fair. That would solve a lot of problems and maybe some high falootin' attorney's fees also.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can go down to the county treasurers office or an abstract company. They have books, or if it’s a newer sale/purchase it’ll be computerized.

You can look back as far as far as day one when the land was deeded and see the complete ownership trail to the present.

All you’d need to know is the quarter and legal description. At least that’s how it is in our county.

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last month I ran down to check on my last living uncle who lived on family land and found him passed. Of course no will and probate will need to run its course. Im pretty sure my brother and I have found his only real item not paid. The last 160 acres purchased and was being leased for interest charges. But well enough in the bank to just pay that off once probate is complete.

My question is. Any way to run a total search for land ownership? Ive located 1200 acres just by looking in the area of our family land.

So many old cars. trucks. SO many tractors. So must STUFF to deal with. Thankfully our family has been working in shifts to clean the houses and barns on the property up, and get them

Last month I ran down to check on my last living uncle who lived on family land and found him passed. Of course no will and probate will need to run its course. Im pretty sure my brother and I have found his only real item not paid. The last 160 acres purchased and was being leased for interest charges. But well enough in the bank to just pay that off once probate is complete.

My question is. Any way to run a total search for land ownership? Ive located 1200 acres just by looking in the area of our family land.

So many old cars. trucks. SO many tractors. So must STUFF to deal with. Thankfully our family has been working in shifts to clean the houses and barns on the property up, and get them secured.
That is so sad. Sorry for your loss. Hope all runs smooth for you and your family.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll come take it all off your hands for the low low price of nine-dy nine, ninedy five!

Seriously though, if you know the county I can show you where to search it up online. Like Rick said I would also go down to the Tax assessor's office and make sure that's all of them and there's not anything hung up in transit, recently defaulted on, etc.

Sorry for your loss. I hope you enjoy the sorting though. I love a good estate sorting myself. And because I've seen so many, I made arrangements so that my own kids won't have to go through much to get my own junk sorted and sold.
amen on the tax assessor -- if something got missed you could actually loose property in a tax sale -- it will cost nothing to ask and might save huge problems -- his banker likely has some insight into what he had also

Latest posts

Top Bottom