Death in the family and inheritance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.Hinkle

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you an attorney? I was told differently from mine. Maybe I was given bad information?
Was it an estate or elder law attorney? I'm a financial advisor, shielding money from government hands and getting it into the hands of beneficiaries quickly is something I've had to deal with all too much since Covid started. I've never yet heard a beneficiary be thankful their loved one had a will and I've never once heard a beneficiary regret their loved one having paid to set up a trust.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probate is a long process. First the executor has to be appointed by the judge and there's a process for that. Then notifications, inventory, etc., etc., etc.

If the estate is small they can do a summary administration of the estate which is much faster and easier. Still takes a month at least.
My will names the executor.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our main concern is making sure any bills IF ANY are paid quickly. We are in no rush to sell land. No rush to sell equipment. Securing equipment yes. He had turned into a hoarder, so cleaning the house he lived in and the home my grandparents lived is the short term goals. My wife doesnt know about the UTV i plan on getting in a few months. Its a lot of land and im sure i'll get a pickup stuck...

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My will names the executor.
The executor has to be appointed by the judge. Everything that you state in your will has to be done by a probate court. Your executor may refuse appointment, may be incompetent to oversee the estate or they may be disqualified for some reason that happens long after you made the will.

Now with all that said, they usually will do EXACTLY what your will states if it can and the will conforms to state law. In Texas it's the same but done a bit different. The probate court is petitioned to admit the will to probate just like here, but they go through all the motions, verifying everything and everyone and the order will just say that the will is approved and admitted. At that point it's done and over with in Texas. The court admitting it to probate is the actual approval and final order of the court.

Here in Oklahoma the court will issue an actual order stating everything in the will just as you have it written out and any differences that the court may order. Differences are rare but do happen.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The executor has to be appointed by the judge. Everything that you state in your will has to be done by a probate court. Your executor may refuse appointment, may be incompetent to oversee the estate or they may be disqualified for some reason that happens long after you made the will.

Now with all that said, they usually will do EXACTLY what your will states if it can and the will conforms to state law. In Texas it's the same but done a bit different. The probate court is petitioned to admit the will to probate just like here, but they go through all the motions, verifying everything and everyone and the order will just say that the will is approved and admitted. At that point it's done and over with in Texas. The court admitting it to probate is the actual approval and final order of the court.

Here in Oklahoma the court will issue an actual order stating everything in the will just as you have it written out and any differences that the court may order. Differences are rare but do happen.
Yep, your spot on and I know this to be the case. Probate is inevitable but greatly simplified with a legal Will. And a Will needs to be constantly updated over time as things may change.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And a Will needs to be constantly updated over time as things may change.
You'd be amazed at how many people don't bother.

And a very few will take the flipside of that to extremes. In my work I saw one lady that had 7 or 8 codicils. I think she changed it every time she had a mood change. She was loaded and had a ton of kids, grandkids, nieces, and nephews. And she thought she had to provide for all of them.... :rolleyes2

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
New twist with my family farm. It seems one of my uncles did have a son and daughter with a Canadian woman years ago. Both kids have had last names changed long ago to hide them from my uncle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom