Decapping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m sure you experienced guys have seen this a million times. Being newer to reloading, I came across this and I’m just curious. I’m decapping some range brass, and had 2 out of a little over 1k that hung in the shell holder. The tops of them broke off causing me to do a little surgery to get them out. No big deal, I’ll just toss them in the scrap pile. But I am wondering, are there particulars that are prone to this, like brand of primer or brass, is it caused by a faulty loading method, over charge if they are reloaded maybe, or it just something that happens, luck of the draw type deal? As I said, I’m just curious, trying to learn all I can about reloading the right way.
91466C38-E6E6-4AFE-8481-9D2195405EFF.jpeg
1A68BF46-8CCB-4642-A1E0-CF5CF3B0D050.jpeg

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve never had that exact thing happen, but I have had similar problems. I hate to throw away brass but it’s just part of it.
Agreed, but I’d rather trash them if they have issues. Especially with 45 acp, throwing away $0.15-$0.20, is way cheaper than a $600 firearm, or worse yet, $2000+ of medical bills! Lol

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As many rounds as I've done I've not seen that. If they were both Winchester, it could be they might have come from the same lot (if a range pickup, that's still relatively likely) which had issues. Personally, as cheap as brass is I'm usually looking for any reason to toss something, rather than a reason to keep it if that makes sense. Let's say in 40. Last time I got brass was like-new cleaned stuff, 1k for $40. That's 4 cents each right? Now, if I'd bought that retail, that'd probably have been 3x that at least. So I have to think of it as "even if I toss out 2/3 of this I'm still below retail", and to be honest I don't think my cull rate is usually anywhere near 6 percent let alone 66.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As many rounds as I've done I've not seen that. If they were both Winchester, it could be they might have come from the same lot (if a range pickup, that's still relatively likely) which had issues. Personally, as cheap as brass is I'm usually looking for any reason to toss something, rather than a reason to keep it if that makes sense. Let's say in 40. Last time I got brass was like-new cleaned stuff, 1k for $40. That's 4 cents each right? Now, if I'd bought that retail, that'd probably have been 3x that at least. So I have to think of it as "even if I toss out 2/3 of this I'm still below retail", and to be honest I don't think my cull rate is usually anywhere near 6 percent let alone 66.
One was Winchester brass, the other is headed stamped G.F.L., never heard of that one, but I’m sure y’all have.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe GFL is Fiocchi. Weird that two of them did it not being the same company. I don't think crimp would apply here to 45acp. What decapping setup are you using?

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe GFL is Fiocchi. Weird that two of them did it not being the same company. I don't think crimp would apply here to 45acp. What decapping setup are you using?
I use the Lee Universal Die for all my decapping sessions.
I can see it possible that they could be reloads from the same person. I bought these, as well as much more from time to time, from a member here and he’s solid, everything has, and I have no doubt will always be great. It has nothing to do with him, I only throw that info in so as to hopefully get the most on them as I can so one of y’all can give me as much info as possible. I am just assuming he could very well have got the brass at the same range. I know that’s a lot of assuming, but the possibilities are there nonetheless. HAHA

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the Lee Universal Die for all my decapping sessions.
I can see it possible that they could be reloads from the same person. I bought these, as well as much more from time to time, from a member here and he’s solid, everything has, and I have no doubt will always be great. It has nothing to do with him, I only throw that info in so as to hopefully get the most on them as I can so one of y’all can give me as much info as possible. I am just assuming he could very well have got the brass at the same range. I know that’s a lot of assuming, but the possibilities are there nonetheless. HAHA
No worries --- I source most of my common caliber brass here as well. I just count that somewhere around 1-3% will get culled for whatever reason. Dents, dings, too dirty, corrosion, splits, nicks or just ugly. There's a LOT of margin buying it once-fired locally compared to once-fired (shipped) or new so I just try not to save everything.

Kind of the same thing I went through on my scrap brass adventure thread. In that case it was a little harder to decide since the brass has quality live primers in them but I still chucked a bunch even knowing they were ~5-6 cents each.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know I must try every method under the sun and I tried a method of cleaning cases that gave me those
hard to remove primers and primers with holes punched through them.

That method was cleaning in a liquid with primers still in the case, letting them dry and storing them until I needed them.

I had many primers in that stored batch that gave me fits.
Galvanic corrosion.
That is the only time I had that happen to me and now all my cases are deprimed before cleaning.

If you get cleaned cases from someone with primers in them you may experience a few hard to remove primers.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know I must try every method under the sun and I tried a method of cleaning cases that gave me those
hard to remove primers and primers with holes punched through them.

That method was cleaning in a liquid with primers still in the case, letting them dry and storing them until I needed them.

I had many primers in that stored batch that gave me fits.
Galvanic corrosion.
That is the only time I had that happen to me and now all my cases are deprimed before cleaning.

If you get cleaned cases from someone with primers in them you may experience a few hard to remove primers.
That's a good point. Potentially the shinier the more likely too I wonder? Seems like liquid cleaning gets them shinier but could do this if primers were in like you said.

Latest posts

Top Bottom