Decided to mess around with some overclocking.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Oh man, my head hurts. Ayight guys, I find this stuff fascinating but never jumped into the modded stuff. I liked getting puters out of a dumpster and making them run. That’s about all I got..,

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@NightShade Great work, and awesome job on the detailed post! What are your thoughts on Intel vs. AMD processors? I have always leaned towards Intel for broader product support and a more well-known product lineup. I will be building a pc in a year or so and am curious as to which manufacturer to go with. Thanks!

Go with AMD's Ryzen. Cheaper than Intel's i9, better multithread performance and equal in single thread. Gaming nowdays is more based on the GPU than the CPU, so thats a wash as well. If you remember when AMD hit the scene with the first Athlon and kicked Intel in the rear, the Ryzen is doing the same thing and for now AMD holds the crown for top CPU.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm done with this thread, you guys are smarter than me! The best I can do is make lead sinkers, that doesn't
take a lot of grey matter/
Actually by weight it takes a great deal of grey matter.

I did my fare share of pc mods and overclocking back in the late 90s and early 00s. Since I had kids I quit pc gaming.. Since you can only open an excel spreed sheet so fast, browse so many forums at once. I haven't upgraded my current machine in a long time. My wife does dread the day I decide the boy should move from the PS4 to a gaming rig and we start playing FPS together. <<<she is right that is probably a bad idea. I used to get a little tense when playing FPS.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I go AMD most of the time and have for years. My biggest issue with Intel is their socket jumping program, for that matter even when they use the exact same socket they will change something so you will need a different board, they "say" that there is some reason for it but people have modded boards and the new cpu works just fine. It's all money to them.

The Ryzen CPU's are pure beasts though. Especially the 3900X and likely the 3950X will be as well. Intel is still tinkering with 10nm process and falling behind daily. AMD's CPU with integrated graphics is almost always a better deal than the Intel version for low end stuff. The only reason to use intel is if you NEED fast single core performance but that is only a few situations and generally related to some games even then you are looking at gaining a handful of FPS. For anything else especially video processing which is CPU bound AMD will get it done faster for cheaper. The 3900X is $500 and is tanking intel cpu's that are much more expensive like the i9-9980XE is a $2000 cpu that is rated at 165 watts compared to the 105 watt 3900X. It does not take a lot of gray matter to figure out you can build a top of the line AMD computer out completely for the cost of Intel's top of the line CPU. Plus that socket will probably support the next gen AMD release and you will be lucky if intel supports it at all.

I just wish that AMD could get their GPU's to perform a bit better if they did they would be a force to be reckoned with.

The only area where I do buy Intel is when I need to use FreeBSD based OS's. Then again I am buying server grade hardware and it's all used because buying intel stuff at full price is only for people with money to burn.

I fondly remember playing FPS against other people, it was always a lot of fun. Just make sure you use a set of headphones and they have speakers, uncover one ear and listen to what they are doing.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL, I try to dumb things down for people who don't understand. And if you ever have a real desire to learn let me know and head my way. I actually enjoy teaching people who want to learn.
I can read the words you're typing but the voice in my head just keeps saying SYSTEM OVERLOAD!!
Y'all were talking "fps", I assume that ain't feet per second. You mentioned "handbrake", is that the one that helps when you're driving one of those drifting cars? I bet not.
You fellas carry on. I'll just keep reading and nodding my head like I understand.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can read the words you're typing but the voice in my head just keeps saying SYSTEM OVERLOAD!!
Y'all were talking "fps", I assume that ain't feet per second. You mentioned "handbrake", is that the one that helps when you're driving one of those drifting cars? I bet not.
You fellas carry on. I'll just keep reading and nodding my head like I understand.
Agreed cowcatcher I can’t even operate my phone I did figure out what’s wrong with my gamo the scope moved sorry you guys get back to the computer talk and let me know where you are when you hook up the jumper cables to the manican with the bra strapped to it you guys are a way out of my brain range lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom