Deep freeze in my storage unit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate08chevy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
No insulation around it and yes it'll cool fine. The fuller the better. We did it for six months from about April to September when we were moving between houses in Texas and heat was in the hundreds. Storage units aren't air tight. They vent just fine.
This. Skip the extra insulation and keep the freezer full. This is no different than a house condenser sitting in the afternoon sun in 100+ degrees trying cool a house… freezer may be a little more sensitive though. Small box fan may aide in air movement. I’d be more concerned about the amp rating/wire size of the circuit, how many other units are on it, GFCI protected, and how often the units are monitored for tripped breakers…

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken when I was looking for freezers a while back, they have some that are "garage rated" which would probably best suited for your situation. Or it could be just another marketing ploy to milk another couple hundred from the consumer.

garytx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One trick to consider is putting a bowl of water in there. Once frozen, put a penny on top of the ice. Then later on if the unit has thawed the penny would be at the bottom of the refrozen ice.
Very wise suggestion, even for the home freezer. Might also consider a device to notify you when the power goes out at the storage facility.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My only concern would be that you don't know what else is plugged in on that circuit. If others start putting freezers and other such things on the circuit it could easily trip the breaker.

I'd start with only a little in the freezer before I'd trust things.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken when I was looking for freezers a while back, they have some that are "garage rated" which would probably best suited for your situation. Or it could be just another marketing ploy to milk another couple hundred from the consumer.
Purchased a “garage rated” refrigerator from Lowes. House frig are designed to operate 60 thru 90 degrees. Parameters on my new one exceed that by a significant amount.

CC379

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was told freezers are outdoor rated if they can cool in up to 110 degree heat

last one I purchased was about 3 years ago its an upright, the other chest type is probably about 30 years old, both are outdoor and both work fine,

will never buy another upright, have lost meat twice from the door being partially open.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very wise suggestion, even for the home freezer. Might also consider a device to notify you when the power goes out at the storage facility.
We have two upright freezers in the garage. We have a device that monitors the temp in both. It's programmable so you set the high and low you want to see. If it goes beyond those parameters, it puts out a 92 decibel siren that will wake one from the other side of the house. It's battery powered so a power outage won't have an effect on it's operation.
Had those for several years now. I'm betting there are some available that can use wifi to alert someone if they are not at home. UPS station to maintain it during a power outage. They are pretty cheap these days.

CC379

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have two upright freezers in the garage. We have a device that monitors the temp in both. It's programmable so you set the high and low you want to see. If it goes beyond those parameters, it puts out a 92 decibel siren that will wake one from the other side of the house. It's battery powered so a power outage won't have an effect on it's operation.
Had those for several years now. I'm betting there are some available that can use wifi to alert someone if they are not at home. UPS station to maintain it during a power outage. They are pretty cheap these days.
one of the selling points of my upright was an open door alarm, not sure if it ever went off as no one was around, I need to contact sears to find out more about my alarm, it might be wifi

Latest posts

Top Bottom