Deer and Broadheads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
at least the arrow went in and out. I am not even sure it took out a rib. The broad head was a swacker. Swackers open after they enter the deer, not on impact. I am going to change back to rage broad heads.
When I found the arrow it was sticky, smelled bad, and only had a little blood on it. I tracked him that night and the next morning for 1/4 mile, mostly drops, but when he would stop I would get lots of bright red bubbly blood.
I figured he died but a long way from where I stuck him.
I was glad to see him on camera and in person later in the year.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you study the anatomy of a deer, there is nothing in that area that will kill it. Empty of all vital organs.
If shot with a rifle in that area, they go down like a sack of potatoes with spinal cord shock, only to recover and run off later.
There is a possibility you might get another chance at it next year. Frustrating isn't it.

This is true IF you are using a smaller caliber. However with larger calibers. Certainly 30 caliber rifle or larger there is typically enough hydrostatic damage from the shear amount of energy a larger bullet produces to damage the spine or lungs or both. Not always but typically yes. Which is one argument for using a larger caliber as they simply do more damage on a less than stellar shot.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
hope you get another crack at him lawton. actually,my son and i have had very good results with the NAP fixed three blades from wally world. i bought him some shwackers for christmas last year and he never used them!

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
e
It didn't cut a swath all the way through and stick in the dirt on the other side of the deer. So, no, it didn't do its job.
I guess I misunderstood I thought he said that was a exit hole. Nevermind I was thinking about the op and your talking about the buck that got hit in the rear ya your 100% right it didn't.

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never wanted to spend a small fortune on various broadheads just to "see what works", so I started years ago buying other people's "culls" off message board classifieds. I have quite a collection too. I shot Excalibur 150 gr. Boltcutters for a while which did well, but a couple years ago, I bought a "lot" of several kinds/brands and got a few 100 gr. Carbon Express XT4 heads. I tried them, and they shot great. So far, they have given me better blood trails and shorter recoveries than any other head I've ever used.

Latest posts

Top Bottom