Deer and Broadheads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I checked them out and read a lot of reviews I am going to give them a try. Been using another brand of fixed
blade. I need some new shafts and broadheads for another set up so I will give them a try.
I think you'll love them. The post you quoted was a bit of hyperbole on my part but they are excellent broadheads.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, in my past compound career, I've taken around 20 or so deer with Bear Super Razorheads with out a loss.
Some would call them old technology. They worked.
Since being medically cross bow assigned, Another 20 or so have been taken with the Bolt Cutters that Excalibur recommends.
I would say that if you put any SHARP broadhead into the vitals, your going to have a dead deer.
I have never used expandables, so I'm out on that discussion.
My opinion is put it into the vitals, and you have a dead deer.

Ironically, the Bear Super Razorheads are why I even tried the Carbon Express XT4 heads, and like I said, they shoot great out of my Excalibur Micro crossbow.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you hit them in the right spot with a sharp broadhead and get a pass through then they wont go far and there will be a good blood trail. Good shot placements with sharp head equals dead deer every time. I haven't lost many but the few I have were all bad shots on my part. If you archery hunt long enough you will make a bad shot and wound a animal. It sucks but it happens. I wounded a MONSTER this year. Shoulder shot him. Biggest deer I have ever seen in the wild, I got impatient and rushed the shot. Kn ew by his reaction it wasnt good. Got half my bolt back with some blood on it at the shot site. Not a drop of blood or hair anywhere. Over the next 2 weeks I looked for him 6 times. Looked for buzzards, crows etc.. nothing. Im convinced he made it. It wasnt the broad heads fault. BTW- I use Slick Tricks and they are awesome. Was a muzzy man for years and then switched because I like the fact that the slick tricks have steel ferrules and are the sharpest out of the pack I have seen. Good luck to yall the rest of the season.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you hit them in the right spot with a sharp broadhead and get a pass through then they wont go far and there will be a good blood trail. Good shot placements with sharp head equals dead deer every time. I haven't lost many but the few I have were all bad shots on my part. If you archery hunt long enough you will make a bad shot and wound a animal. It sucks but it happens. I wounded a MONSTER this year. Shoulder shot him. Biggest deer I have ever seen in the wild, I got impatient and rushed the shot. Kn ew by his reaction it wasnt good. Got half my bolt back with some blood on it at the shot site. Not a drop of blood or hair anywhere. Over the next 2 weeks I looked for him 6 times. Looked for buzzards, crows etc.. nothing. Im convinced he made it. It wasnt the broad heads fault. BTW- I use Slick Tricks and they are awesome. Was a muzzy man for years and then switched because I like the fact that the slick tricks have steel ferrules and are the sharpest out of the pack I have seen. Good luck to yall the rest of the season.
A shoulder shot is a bad shot? Last one I shot with my bow, using Steelforce, I hit him right through the shoulder. The scapula had a perfect cruciate shaped hole in it. The arrow was stuck in the dirt on the far side of the deer. Still sharp enough to use. Again, not sure why you'd use a chisel tip. Cut on contact blades penetrate so much better.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your saying a intentional shot through the shoulder with archery equipment is a good shot then I strongly disagree. I wouldn't ever intentionally aim for the shoulder with a broadhead. I have recovered a few that I shoulder shot accidentally and lost one or two that way. You get a big buck on The shoulder there is no guarantee the broadhead is going to punch through and come out the other side every time. I dont care what brand it is.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Post from a tracker on Archery Talk-

I get so tired of helping guys track shoulder blade shot deer. If you are new aim low behind the front leg and come up from the bottom to shoot 3-4 " behind and 4-6" up. Good shooting!

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you shoot them in the boiler room it doesn't matter what BH you are using unless the mechanical fails maybe. If you put a bad shot on a deer than all bets are off plain and simple and you better hope luck is on your side. It's simple. If you double lung pass through or heart shot pass through they're going to die and do it quickly. High, low, forward or back, good luck and you need to practice more.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your saying a intentional shot through the shoulder with archery equipment is a good shot then I strongly disagree. I wouldn't ever intentionally aim for the shoulder with a broadhead. I have recovered a few that I shoulder shot accidentally and lost one or two that way. You get a big buck on The shoulder there is no guarantee the broadhead is going to punch through and come out the other side every time. I dont care what brand it is.
I'd bet $1000 my bow with my setup will go through the shoulder and stick in the dirt on any buck, 20 out of 20 times.

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a beastly set up. Even at 20 yards or less. Not saying yours sucks but my xbow shoots a 415gr bh at 362 fps and I shoulder shot one at 15 yards this year and did pass through both shoulders but the bh was sticking out the backside shoulder. I know bad shout but was impatient and he did die.

Latest posts

Top Bottom