Deer and Broadheads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All my shots are from the ground. I looked at the steelforce brand. Look like good heads. I still stand by my original statement about that I would not intentionally aim at the shoulder of a deer with archery equipment. Thats just me and others may differ. Yall have a safe rest of the season.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'll try to video the next one I hammer with a bow.
I understand your saying your setup would go through a shoulder. But surely your not saying you would take that shot on purpose.
I wouldn't even take a shoulder shot on purpose with a light center fire rifle .223 .243 .257 6mm ect.... but hey if so each to his own what ever works for you.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand your saying your setup would go through a shoulder. But surely your not saying you would take that shot on purpose.
I wouldn't even take a shoulder shot on purpose with a light center fire rifle .223 .243 .257 6mm ect.... but hey if so each to his own what ever works for you.
Lol. How tough do you think a deer shoulder is? 243 won't be effective against a deer shoulder?? Lawlz

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Lol. How tough do you think a deer shoulder is? 243 won't be effective against a deer shoulder?? Lawlz
Doc your 100% correct about the 243 as long as your shooting the correct bullet one that is meant to stay together like core-lock nosler/partion but a plain soft tip bullet shot at close range into the shoulder and hitting the scapula can and well blow up sometimes. I have heard a many a story I hit him in the front shoulder it knock him down and then he got up ran off only to fine a lot of hair bone fragments. I sure it has happen to some of the guys on here. I just don't think shooting one through the shoulder with a arrow is the best high percentage shot. Buts that just my opinion doesn't make me right.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The deer im my profile pic I shoulder shot. I was extremely lucky the bolt penetrated enough to kill him. I didnt get a pass thru and there was no blood trail whatsoever. I saw the bolt halfway in him as he ran. I started just walking trails and eventually came up on him. He was a big bodied deer. The one I accidentally shoulder shot this year was a extremely big bodied deer also. I got the back half of my bolt back, probably 7 inches of penetration, I believe he is still walking. Bottom line, if I put the shot were it was supposed to go he is at my taxdermist right now...

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doc your 100% correct about the 243 as long as your shooting the correct bullet one that is meant to stay together like core-lock nosler/partion but a plain soft tip bullet shot at close range into the shoulder and hitting the scapula can and well blow up sometimes. I have heard a many a story I hit him in the front shoulder it knock him down and then he got up ran off only to fine a lot of hair bone fragments. I sure it has happen to some of the guys on here. I just don't think shooting one through the shoulder with a arrow is the best high percentage shot. Buts that just my opinion doesn't make me right.

100% agree. Why shoot thru all that bone to get to the vitals when you don't have to? Makes zero sense to me. Furthermore I make most my burger out of the shoulders. Why ruin meat? Especially with a rifle! If people have great success shooting deer in the shoulders, more power to them. Anchoring a deer where he stands would be the only positive about shooting one there with a rifle. But so long as I have eyes to follow a blood trail you'll never convince me to purposely do it on a perfectly broadside deer. I honestly can't imagine doing that with archery equipment, your just asking for trouble IMO, and why? I mean dang, move your shot back 6" and punch'em thru the ribs. Whatever floats your boat though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom