Deer changing already?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Noticed the does feeding are changing their coats already. Seems a little early. Also saw the first buck in the area since end of last season. He's already scrapped the velvet off and his hooks hardened up. Seems early for that too. Going to have an 'early' winter?

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All of my does have been shedding their summer coats for about 10 days now. Retrieverman has seen deer in NW Oklahoma shedding velvet then a week later same buck was cleaned up. Its on schedule. I agree with Dennis. The full moon in September (13th) is the Fall equinox and the start of the breeding season for the deer. Charles Alcheimer (sp) a prolific author on deer activity, stated in his research that the breeding season progression is based on the full moon phases. I have watched this each Fall as October rolls around and the activity ramps up accordingly. My .02

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Folks generally think antler growth continues until around the first of September, but from years of game cam research, real growth seems to stop around the second week of August. All my bucks on camera here in east TX and NW OK were hard horned by the first of September.

Latest posts

Top Bottom