Deer Feeder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
set the feeder in an open area where you have a clear view. Be able to set up a stand or blind, at least, 35 -40 yards away, assuming you are rifle hunting. If you are bow hunting then set the feeder at 20-25 yards. Elevate your tree stand,preferably, 15 feet down wind from the feeder. Activate the feeder,if it spins the corn out, around the first of September since it is new to the area and the deer need to find it. Set your timer to activate at 7:00 am and 5:00 pm and leave it alone. This may appear to be too late or early,at first, but as the Fall progresses the daylight will change and the deer are used to it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you wait until deer season to set it out the new smell will not go over well. My buddy does it that way and deer visit it at night most of the time.
I like to hunt as far away from a feeder as I can. Never did me any good.
At least my buddies feeders set out too late in the year.
I like to hunt about 100 miles away from his feeders unless you like crows and squirrels.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For rifle or muzzleloader I like my feeders to be about 75-80 yards away. Close enough to be a chip shot for just about anyone but far enough way that the slightest breeze in the wrong direction doesn’t send them running. Still gotta watch the wind but not near as critical on those light variable wind mornings we see so often during rifle season.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
set the feeder in an open area where you have a clear view. Be able to set up a stand or blind, at least, 35 -40 yards away, assuming you are rifle hunting. If you are bow hunting then set the feeder at 20-25 yards. Elevate your tree stand,preferably, 15 feet down wind from the feeder. Activate the feeder,if it spins the corn out, around the first of September since it is new to the area and the deer need to find it. Set your timer to activate at 7:00 am and 5:00 pm and leave it alone. This may appear to be too late or early,at first, but as the Fall progresses the daylight will change and the deer are used to it.

This is almost exactly what I do. Additionally, if you have a field or a concentration area where you almost always see deer, I will put the feeder in a staging area. Deer, especially bucks, have an area that they check out the situation and other deer before strolling out onto a field. If you can find that staging area, it’s a prime spot for stands and to place a feeder nearby. I see a lot of feeders sitting in open fields, which may be good for feeding doe, but I find it more productive to stay in a semi-open area somewhere along the field edge, just inside of cover.

Also, I hate road hunters, so I try to place feeders where they are not visible from the road, but also pull deer deeper into the property, away from roads.

Lastly, don’t just throw a feeder out and expect to be successful. Before placing your feeder, either set your stands or make a mental note of where you will set your stands. I have at least 2-3 stands around each feeder for varying wind directions, so I want my feeder either in sight of all, or at least close enough I can sit over a main trail leading to the feeder.

Latest posts

Top Bottom