Deer gun season to possibly increase in 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So reading the proposed regulations, it seems the 9 day limited is lifted. they will extend the gun season to include all but the last 7 days of the season. I'm actually good with that, but wish it included the full season. I see on Packsaddle they want does killed, but only open the last two days of the season to antlerless. Those are probably the least likely days that anyone will be there, so the take will be low. I still don't agree with some of the restrictions, but I'm not a wildlife biologist so I don't get to make the rules.
What?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they extend the season, only the last seven days won't be huntable on public lands that currently only allow for the first nine days. At least, that's what I'm reading in the proposed changes.
Quail hunters don't like getting cut out of their hunting seasons on public ground.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quail hunters....unintended drivers for deer hunters....6 of one, half dozen of the other. Coincidentally, it's been several years since I've flushed any quail in western OK.
Quail hunting is why the deer season has been 9 days for a long time on WMA's. Each WMA has it's own regulations so it's good to check before hunting them. Our WMA's around here are pretty popular for quail and some pheasant hunting.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quail hunting is why the deer season has been 9 days for a long time on WMA's. Each WMA has it's own regulations so it's good to check before hunting them. Our WMA's around here are pretty popular for quail and some pheasant hunting.
an excerpt from Black Kettle regs:
upload_2019-12-12_21-34-38.png

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
There don't seem to be any changes to quail seasons, except that some areas list quail closed til the Monday after deer season. That will push the season back a week in some areas.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There don't seem to be any changes to quail seasons, except that some areas list quail closed til the Monday after deer season. That will push the season back a week in some areas.
Statewide seasons stay the same. It's on the individual WMA's where they make regulation changes depending on the requirements for that area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom