Deer gun season to possibly increase in 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Statewide seasons stay the same. It's on the individual WMA's where they make regulation changes depending on the requirements for that area.
The wording for the WMAs shows changes where they are to be made. My understanding is, if it didn't change, then it doesn't change. By increasing deer season to 23 days, it will allow for hunting deer for 16 days instead of 9 on regulated WMAs

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wording for the WMAs shows changes where they are to be made. My understanding is, if it didn't change, then it doesn't change. By increasing deer season to 23 days, it will allow for hunting deer for 16 days instead of 9 on regulated WMAs

Well have to see if the ODW passes it and how the finished regs are worded to know for sure.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with PBramble. If it's all about deer numbers coming down, then why not extend open gun WMAs to the full season? I'm sure it's a non issue for those who hunt private, but like PB I hunt public 95% of the time.

What's the thinking behind the 9 day WMA thing anyway?
Dallas Barber is a biologist with the ODWC. Here is a quote from him. "Everyone should know that does are the driver of populations. If does weren’t protected on public lands, there would not be many deer left on these public lands. Simply put, the population can’t handle the harvest that would occur. Public land only makes up 3% of total acreage in OK. With that being said 6 to 7% of TOTAL harvest comes off of that small percentage of land."

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dallas Barber is a biologist with the ODWC. Here is a quote from him. "Everyone should know that does are the driver of populations. If does weren’t protected on public lands, there would not be many deer left on these public lands. Simply put, the population can’t handle the harvest that would occur. Public land only makes up 3% of total acreage in OK. With that being said 6 to 7% of TOTAL harvest comes off of that small percentage of land."
That's a pretty amazing fact considering the number of WMAs that aren't open to rifle hunting or that don't allow doe harvest at all. Those control hunts must be cleaning up or the archers are doing a great job. If they couldn't handle the over harvest, it's a good thing they never travel off WMAs to private lands either. Again, I'm not a biologist.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a pretty amazing fact considering the number of WMAs that aren't open to rifle hunting or that don't allow doe harvest at all. Those control hunts must be cleaning up or the archers are doing a great job. If they couldn't handle the over harvest, it's a good thing they never travel off WMAs to private lands either. Again, I'm not a biologist.
ODWC Big Game Biologist Dallas Barber [email protected] if you would like to discuss a little about it.

Last edited:

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
ODWC Big Game Biologist Dallas Barber [email protected] if you would like to learn a little about it.
I bet they never thought of deer traveling off of the WMA. Let us know how your conversation goes.
I get what you're saying. What doesn't make sense is that if opening a second week on WMAs would hurt the deer population, they why consider opening another week of hunting period? I'll take you up on your offer and shoot him an email. There's so much wrong with the information being passed around, maybe he can clear it up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom