Deer Hunting 1980, vs 2017

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
4e164ea0fd595d470e957451bdd9dcbd.jpg

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
this is true. back in the 80s someone say i killed a 10 point i would ask what would it score and they would look at me like i had three heads lol. I would buy every deer hunting magazine i could find. my wife use to get man at me for spending the money. I remember oh dick idol . Deer hunters sure have change in the last 30 years.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, there is HUGE difference in deer hunting today versus 30 years ago, but I remember bird hunting south of Jet from the mid 70's until the early 80's and even seeing "a" deer was a major topic of conversation. There may have been deer in other parts of the state, but they were pretty sparse in that area.

In the old days (before game cameras), you killed the first buck you saw, because you didn't necessarily know there was a bigger one in the area.

I'm guilty of over using technology, and in some ways, I'd kinda like to go back to the old days where you got on the stand opening morning and were surprised at what stepped out.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So true that the difference is huge. My first year deer hunting in 1979 with a buddy and between us knew of only one person that had shot a deer. Through high school can only think of 2-3 others that deer hunted.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i remember walking the nature trail at salt plains as a kid. if someone saw a deer track, we were all called over to look at it. it was a big deal!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This meme brings up another point too. I don't see it on this board, but I'm on a couple "Texas" hunting message boards that actually "shame" guys for killing a deer with a gun or crossbow. Of course, the same people that are against gun hunting find it perfectly acceptable to "hunt" inside a high fence pen and brag about their "harvest". Personally, I've never "harvested" a deer in my life, but I've KILLED a bunch.

In my opinion, the "elitist" attitude that some hunters have toward others is seriously detrimental to the sport, and cards on the table, I've been guilty of it. I remind myself regularly how blessed I am to have places to hunt and the opportunities that I've been given over the years to kill (what I consider) trophy animals.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I've got buddies who hound me for shooting a xbow sometimes, yet none of them have made their own bow and taken a deer like I have. They shoot high dollar compounds.......
And some who hound me for using smokeless in my Savage because it's not primitive , yet they're still shooting scoped in lines and flintlocks lol........

the man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great thread. I remember when i was younger it was all about the points. Back then people would have much rather have killed a 140" 12 pt than a 155" 8 pt. I do miss those days. I was lucky that my dad was retired and we would camp for weeks at a time. A lot of the hunters i grew up around were true outdoors-men. Many of the hunters i know now simply put out some cameras and some corn and set and wait. A lot has been lost.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the 70's, where I lived, everyone deer hunted. School closings were all coordinated so all area schools would be out at the same time during deer season. Lot's more places to hunt too. Very few "No Trespassing" signs. Those started popping up in the mid 70's and were everywhere by the end of the decade.
But we hunted deer, ducks, quail, squirrel and anything else that could be put in a freezer or oven.
Ammo was available at gas stations, grocery stores and guns were sold at hardware stores.
It was different. Most places were walk in and carry out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom