Deer Season 2018 Pics/Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quiet the experience today, I had my neice in the blind with me and she was after her first book. We saw a couple good ones this morning, but we balked on the first one because it was so early in the season. We saw 6 or 7 bucks and about that many does. The bucks were on the move today. We watched different bucks tending scrapes at least a half dozen times if not more. Twice we watched 2 doe stand up on hind legs and box it out for a few seconds. This evening movement was hot and heavy as well. We had 1 good buck that showed up often but would only give a 20 second shot opportunity before back after the ladies. You or I that may have been plenty, but this was her first opportunity at a buck and nerves were getting to her. She ended up making the shot after having the buck at 65 yards for nearly 5 minutes. My nerves were getting to me more and more as time ticked by. At one point I even whispered shoot it please!. She dropped the buck in his tracks with a 100 grain .243. View attachment 127255
That's fantastic!!! Looking at that deer, I'm available next year if you need another "kid" to take.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Quiet the experience today, I had my neice in the blind with me and she was after her first book. We saw a couple good ones this morning, but we balked on the first one because it was so early in the season. We saw 6 or 7 bucks and about that many does. The bucks were on the move today. We watched different bucks tending scrapes at least a half dozen times if not more. Twice we watched 2 doe stand up on hind legs and box it out for a few seconds. This evening movement was hot and heavy as well. We had 1 good buck that showed up often but would only give a 20 second shot opportunity before back after the ladies. You or I that may have been plenty, but this was her first opportunity at a buck and nerves were getting to her. She ended up making the shot after having the buck at 65 yards for nearly 5 minutes. My nerves were getting to me more and more as time ticked by. At one point I even whispered shoot it please!. She dropped the buck in his tracks with a 100 grain .243. View attachment 127255

That's awesome tell her congrats again and my daughter says to do the same!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
We didn't get to the stand until 3:15 and deer moved well all evening 10 bucks and 3 doe. Several bucks that were broken and had wounds on their backs. At 5:15 a doe comes flying through and sure enough there's a buck behind her in the thick stuff but is in no hurry. He stops just short of entering the lane and works over a limb, I can see plenty of rack but still not sure. Told my daughter there are two windows to shoot him in as he passes through, let me glass him in the first one and we'll stop him in the second on if he's worthy. This is all happening at a distance of 60y. He doesn't work the branch long and walks across the first lane looking for the doe, I told her he worthy if she wants it. He's passing behind a fallen tree and I told her to get ready and she'd have about 3 seconds to pull the trigger when he stops. He clears the tree and I get ready to yell at him, he makes a 90* turn directly at us to a distance of 15y and proceeds the eat lol. He turns a little broadside and she dumped him with the Model 7 in 6mm Rem. 192lbs and not almost no fat on him already.

20181117_181044.jpg

SWRhodd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We didn't get to the stand until 3:15 and deer moved well all evening 10 bucks and 3 doe. Several bucks that were broken and had wounds on their backs. At 5:15 a doe comes flying through and sure enough there's a buck behind her in the thick stuff but is in no hurry. He stops just short of entering the lane and works over a limb, I can see plenty of rack but still not sure. Told my daughter there two windows to shoot him in as he passes through, let me glass him in the first one and we'll stop him in the second on if he's worthy. This is all happening at a distance of 60y. He doesn't work the branch long and walks across the first lane looking for the doe, I told her he worthy if she wants it. He's passing behind a fallen tree and I told her to get ready and she'd have about 3 seconds to pull the trigger when he stops. He clears the tree and I get ready to yell at him, he makes a 90* turn directly at us to a distance of 15y and proceeds the eat lol. He turns a little broadside and she dumped him with the Model 7 in 6mm Rem. 192lbs and not almost no fat on him already.

View attachment 127260

Congrats, my wife hunts with a Remington Model 7 in 6mm also. She has killed her share of deer with it.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Congrats, my wife hunts with a Remington Model 7 in 6mm also. She has killed her share of deer with it.

That was my dad's, that rifle has taken a ton of antelope and deer. Pretty sure they chambered it in 6mm Rem for a couple of years or so in the mid 1980's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom