Defleshing an OLD skull

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I found a pretty nice buck skull a few years back, it had been in the field for a while and was dried out and still had most of its skin. I snagged it and its been sitting outside since...and is hard as a rock.
I put it in a bucket of water yesterday which loosened alot of it up and I got most of it off...any "home brew" suggesions for the remainder of the stuff? Idunno if maybe softening it up then putting it outside for bugs to work on a bit more would work...or if bugs have done all they're going to do.

Any suggestions?

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We used to clean skulls (and mice skeletons) by putting them in an old birdcage,,,
Then setting the cage on top of to a red ant hill.

It took about a week but they were pretty much bare of anything by that time.

Aarond

Last edited:

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So I found a pretty nice buck skull a few years back, it had been in the field for a while and was dried out and still had most of its skin. I snagged it and its been sitting outside since...and is hard as a rock.
I put it in a bucket of water yesterday which loosened alot of it up and I got most of it off...any "home brew" suggesions for the remainder of the stuff? Idunno if maybe softening it up then putting it outside for bugs to work on a bit more would work...or if bugs have done all they're going to do.

Any suggestions?
meal worms from petsmart
https://experiment.com/projects/maceration-of-skull-tissue-by-mealworms

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We used to clean skulls (and ice skeletons) by putting them in an old birdcage,,,
Then setting the cage on top of to a red ant hill.

It took about a week but they were pretty much bare of anything by that time.

Aarond

Yea I did that last year only just covered it with a bucket, the ants were almost finished when something got the skull and took off with it!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it has been that long, beetles is not what you need. When the remaining skin is still soft, go to a car wash and pressure wash it off. Then its time to lighten the bone. It may be too late as they may have already fell out, but watch for the teeth and save them, they can be glued back in.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have buried my skulls in the garden antlers up above the ground and stuff eats away at the goodies and a few months later i can hose it off.
Squirrels will eat the antlers.. so keep them away from it.

I will look into the meal worms video.

Latest posts

Top Bottom