Degree or no degree?? Let's agree to disagree

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
'In the day', most businesses wanted you to have a degree --- because that showed them that you have the ability to see something through to its completion. It also showed that you could take direction and return a product that met standards.

One of my college professors told me this just before graduation --- "You can either eat well, or sleep well. Rare is the job that affords both." And to my recollection, it has been true throughout my working career.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It depends on the profession that you choose. If you want to be a doctor, lawyer, nurse, teacher, scientist, etc, you need the degree. Otherwise it’s a waste of $ if your profession doesn’t require one.
However, you may want to get a degree in a profession that doesn’t require one, if you want to advance in that profession or market yourself for a leadership position in that profession at another employer.

Last edited:

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been lucky enough to be in the same type of business going on 38 years without a degree. I now make the most I've ever managed to scrape out of the wholesale wheel and tire business. But I'm the busiest, so lack of spare time equals more money .... It seems

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a degree means you think they like want you to think and you will respond to virtue signaling. you will also likely just sit and say nothing when things are said that YOU disagree with because well, what else did you learn in college?

i think "degree" or "no degree" is more like "job" or "no job". businesses turned their backs on American workers; now it's our turn. there are a LOT of poor people who have always been poor and probably always will be. i *think* they are ready to make everyone else like them.
Do you have a college degree?

ShaneP

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work in the HVAC field (Building Automation), none of the folks that work for me have degrees and all make between $85k and $95K a year. Not getting rich but making a good living with no degree.
I work in Building Automation also. My previous employer preferred to hire guys from Okmulgee with an associates, but I found that in our industry it doesn't make that big of a difference.

We put a preference on experience, but don't discount education.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a degree and paid my way through with no loans, but that was in the late 80’s. By the time my oldest son got to college in 2010, I don’t believe it would’ve been possible for him to work enough to pay his tuition and live, but I was fortunate enough to get him through with no debt. My youngest son didn’t go to college and currently makes more than his brother with a degree.

My parents “expected” to go to college, so I went. If I had it to do over, I most likely wouldn’t go.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Work ethic trumps degrees for me. But, a lot of employers seem to still require it for whatever reason. I came out of college with no debt, but worked my a$$ off and went to a cheap (then) state school. I struggle to guide my kids on this decision. It's hard for me to not push for a degree, but I'm conflicted on the value, for sure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom