Degree or no degree?? Let's agree to disagree

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try it today. My daughter went to OSU last year Sit in dorm room, do classes online,no restaurants,bars, activities,football games, nothing.
So much for the college experience. Making more at Wallyworld than I made working. We'll see how my lessons on spending and saving work on her.
Have a kid in school now. It’s different for sure.

my gpa would have been better :)

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I graduated high school with a kid whose family had money.He went to OU, got a degree and worked at his Dads bank for 30 years.He has a million dollar house and his next door neighbor also has a nice house but is a plumber.The plumber doesn't have a college degree but is very good at what he does and seems happy.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have so many positions that require credentials (degrees) but honestly, so many recent graduates only know the world of academia.
When I was involved in the process of interviewing a person for a management position, I would always ask a certain question. I'd ask them if they knew what Ramen Noodles were and had they eaten them for several days in a row. If yes, I know this person has worked his way through college. Probably worked all his life. I know the Ramen noodles weeks/months....ha. Three jobs and still needing a student loan.
Yes, some jobs need the credentials because of the subject of the job requires certain knowledge that only comes from the emersion you receive in specific studies. Other than that, I would prefer to hire a person that has worked their butts off. It amazing how good you can get at anything.
Most people don't know that every job, including degreed management positions, are learned on the job.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I graduated high school with a kid whose family had money.He went to OU, got a degree and worked at his Dads bank for 30 years.He has a million dollar house and his next door neighbor also has a nice house but is a plumber.The plumber doesn't have a college degree but is very good at what he does and seems happy.
He’s probably not a plumber. He was a plumber. Now he owns a plumbing company.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I retired after a great career. My career field required a a bachelors degree to get started, and then several years later I made a move that required a MBA. I have always been very happy with my choice.

My brother wanted a career in a field that did not require a degree, and he has been equally pleased with his choices.

Both careers required commitment and hard work.

If the field a person wants to enter requires a degree, it really doesn’t make much difference if you don’t see the need, the field requires it.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have so many positions that require credentials (degrees) but honestly, so many recent graduates only know the world of academia.
When I was involved in the process of interviewing a person for a management position, I would always ask a certain question. I'd ask them if they knew what Ramen Noodles were and had they eaten them for several days in a row. If yes, I know this person has worked his way through college. Probably worked all his life. I know the Ramen noodles weeks/months....ha. Three jobs and still needing a student loan.
Yes, some jobs need the credentials because of the subject of the job requires certain knowledge that only comes from the emersion you receive in specific studies. Other than that, I would prefer to hire a person that has worked their butts off. It amazing how good you can get at anything.
Most people don't know that every job, including degreed management positions, are learned on the job.

I wonder what kind of job I could of gotten if I had told the secret of making a pizza with Ramen Noodles??

:teach:

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So a guy notices a small leak in his basement and calls a plumber. The plumber comes out, discovers it's just a loose fitting, tightens it up and advises the homeowner.

Homeowner says, "Great. What is the charge?"

Plumber says $100

"A hundred dollars? But it only took you 5 minutes?!"

Plumber says, yeah.

Guy says, "That works out to $1200 per hour!"

Plumber says, yeah.

Guy says, "I'm a BRAIN SURGEON and I don't make that kind of money!"

Plumber shrugs and says, "Yeah.... I didn't when I was a brain surgeon either." :rollingla

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is sad that companies put so much faith on degrees for employment. Ill take experience every time. I work for a large manufacturing company in Broken Arrow and when I started 30 years ago I was the only employ the owner had that had a degree. And not a technical degree so it didn't help with mechanical engineering. The two engineers there didn't have degrees but they are two of the best mechanical engineers I've ever known. And one of them is now the president of the company and he is really good at that too. Why is this important? This country was built by focused folks that are hard working and are dedicated to the cause. Many to most didn't have a degree.

Latest posts

Top Bottom