Degree or no degree?? Let's agree to disagree

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have degrees, i taught in college (to help pay for my degree), and I work for a large Corporation.
A degree is only worth as much as the student puts into it. If the student is too hung over or tired to learn they will either drop out or make a passing grade without having learned. In many ways college is now there to give young adults more time to grow up. I don’t put much value into the fact that someone has a degree or not. It’s all about the Persons willingness and ability to learn and teach others.
If you want to progress into upper leadership roles in the corporate world, more likely than not, you will need to check the degree box.
do People make good livings without degrees? Absolutely and their lives are often times less stressful.

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a degree it's in Organizational Leadership. I have worked for my company 21 years now. Loyal, honest, and have morals. My thoughts are these people need experienced personnel. What I have noticed is newbies climbing the ladder quickly I assume because they know someone who can pull strings... Morale can be ate away fast if it continues. Not sure of the people's experience but do know these people are fresh off the bus. Not sure either if it makes people like myself with a degree (bachelor's) not so sure I should have put myself in debt l. Same pay after my graduation, degree or no degree for the position I am in...... Time to rethink my kids future and what's best for them, debt free....

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No degree here. I've learned a skill or two that have allowed me to move up and make a good living - that's the good side.

Flip side is, it took me longer, and I had to work harder to get here than if I had had a degree.

Now the real downside - wife has a very real degree(call her "Dr." - she could go get a job paying 3x what I make anywhere in the country.
Me - with no degree, in a very specialized field, I'd be back to driving heavy equipment if we moved.

Get a real degree, with a real skill, or learn and master a real skill that can go anywhere.

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Valid points yes.
Degrees are good, loans are bad, interest on loans bad, tuition assistance good, jobs requiring a degree salary cap as to no degree salary cap bad, all these things are what I ask myself questions the actual need, want, must have pieces of paper to say hey, I went beyond high school now pay up sucka.
Just hold on a little longer and Biden and the Democrat team will pay for your degreed(s). Them what?

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think times have changed to the point that trade schools are more important than a college degree. As has been mentioned, and I know a few, but there are many college grads that are busing tables and working in pawn shops. The trades are losing a lot of people, my HVAC friend tells me there is a shortage of journeyman HVAC. And even This Old House has gotten on the trade school train. As the old timers phase out, there's noone coming in to take their place. If a person wants to be an office dweller, then they'll likely have to have a degree of some sorts, but a degree just doesn't hold that much power anymore IMO.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to find something you like to do and don’t think about keeping up with the Jones. If you are great at what you do, the reward will come, likely when you least expect it. The YouTube thread reminds me of the vast resources available to find something you might like to do. You can watch a million channels of people doing stuff as a job.

My dad was a letter carrier for the post office after he served in the military as a medic during the early 1960s. He received the million mile award which means he walked more than a million miles delivering mail. He was dog bit more than once and even had to get a series of rabies shots. He never once complained. In fact he was a quiet man. He retired at age 76 and passed away at 86 from pulmonary fibrosis, likely caused by something he was exposed to in the military. He lived a very healthy life. Never smoked or drank and always took his vitamins.

That said, he had a master degree from OU in mechanical engineering. He was a mathematician by heart and would help me with my algebra in high school without looking at the book. It was crazy and I really didn’t like math. Funny thing is now I have pre and post level graduate degrees in finance and accounting which both require a lot of “math”.

You don’t have to be stuck in one profession. In high school I worked my way up to a mechanic in a local shop. I was making a ton of money for that age. Then went broke working my way through college taking my classes at night while paying as I went. College wasn’t fun for me, I was there to learn and retain knowledge. Never had a student loan. Today I crunch numbers during the day and at night I am rebuilding something mechanical, fabricating something out of metal or wood and enjoying the time spent doing stuff I like.
This is the kind of stuff I like to do for those who don’t make it to the Gearheads section.
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/new-project.289491/

Range Plunker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Separating degrees leading to an M.D. or J.D., from degrees that don't end in licensure. Regarding the non-licensure degrees, they get you an interview; but, it is up to you to sell yourself. The bottom line is degrees are all about separating people as much as they are about learning. You may disagree; but, why do people pursue advanced degrees? Answer, to separate themselves fom those that have BA's for example. Finally, some years ago, a law professor said in class the following: "A" law students become law professors, "B" law students become judges, and "C" law students start their own law firms, and then hire the "A" and "B" law students.

Latest posts

Top Bottom