Delayed by NICS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlschoonie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doesn't the law say the FFL MAY transfer the firearm after 3 days, not that they HAVE to?
That is correct. Where i work, with this virus going around, if we get a delay on the NICS check, we have been informed to stop the sale entirely. Company policy I guess. But yes, it is 3 business days, with no reply, and we can transfer the firearm. Although we can stop the sale at any point, if we feel necessary.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No problems at Atwoods.
kkx9czx36hq41.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is correct. Where i work, with this virus going around, if we get a delay on the NICS check, we have been informed to stop the sale entirely. Company policy I guess. But yes, it is 3 business days, with no reply, and we can transfer the firearm. Although we can stop the sale at any point, if we feel necessary.
Welcome to OSA and your insite!

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got delayed Saturday. I always get “further review” and then it gets approved several minutes later when someone can pull my FBI III record.

First time I’ve been actually delayed though.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NICs is recommending online submissions to speed up the process as well I believe . . .

Mine was sent electronically. My biggest question was that the agent over this particular FFL told them to wait 6 days before proceeding if they didn’t hear back from NICS. The law is 3 days. The agent said 6.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine was sent electronically. My biggest question was that the agent over this particular FFL told them to wait 6 days before proceeding if they didn’t hear back from NICS. The law is 3 days. The agent said 6.

Interesting.

This was sent out on the NICs FFL listserv recently:

The National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) remains fully operational. However, due to the COVID-19 protocols, increased transaction volume, and modified staffing schedules, we recognize some federal firearms licensees (FFLs) may be experiencing extended hold times. In order to provide better service, the NICS Section has decided beginning at 12:01 am ET, Tuesday March 31, 2020, to implement a workflow change. This change means that when the FFL calls (telephone) in a NICS check and receives a delay status, they will also receive the Brady Transfer Date from the NICS Contracted Call Center (NCCC). The FFL will not be transferred to a NICS Examiner for further review of the NTN and a possible final status while still on the telephone. The transactions will continue to be worked by a NICS Examiner, however, not while holding the FFL on the telephone.

The NCCC remains fully operational and continues to accept NICS checks from FFL via telephone. Additionally the NICS E-check also remains fully operational.

We continue to work to provide you with timely information to support the firearms background check process.

Latest posts

Top Bottom