Delayed by NICS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are correct. What I get for posting off the top of my head. Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays do not count.
FWIW, I was thinking about the "five business days" related to multiple handgun sales reports, in which Saturdays do count for businesses open on Saturdays, and do not count for businesses that work only Mon thru Fri. There is a lot of stuff to remember in this biz.

Last edited:

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is correct. Where i work, with this virus going around, if we get a delay on the NICS check, we have been informed to stop the sale entirely. Company policy I guess. But yes, it is 3 business days, with no reply, and we can transfer the firearm. Although we can stop the sale at any point, if we feel necessary.
Do you know @cdschoonie ? He used to be around here some.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are subject to "further review" on most or all of your prior firearms transactions, you will now be delayed under the new ATF rules set in place, temporarily, because of the COVID-19 mess.

I am. It surprising it takes 20-25 minutes to get the delay though, (Online) when I see others getting approved.

But yes, I always get further review on a live voice NICS.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you folks that are getting delayed, etc using the personal ID thing? Can't remember what they call it. I always get delayed for a day or two. I was told to get that and probably wouldn't be delayed again, but these are different times.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am. It surprising it takes 20-25 minutes to get the delay though, (Online) when I see others getting approved.
But yes, I always get further review on a live voice NICS.
Never used the computer check, but I'm sure it is similar to a phone check. The FFL calls a contracted call center, and reads the info off the 4473 to the examiner. The examiner types in said info and hits "enter", and he/she will see one of three things on the machine: (1) "Proceed", (2) "Denied", or (3) "Further Review". Before, "further review" status meant that the FFL would be transferred to a NICS examiner employed by the FBI, who would then render a decision, usually within a few minutes. Now, "further review" means an automatic delay.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom