Democratic Congressional Candidates Talk Guns in Edmond

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewR

Marksman
Reaction score
It is always nice to know whom not to vote for.

It is chock full of the usual gun grabbers' manifesto wish list; ban magazines over ten rounds, ban bump stocks, ban "assault-style weapons" (snort), universal background checks and "gun violence restraining orders".

http://newsok.com/democratic-congre...pons-that-are-killing-people./article/5594209

EDMOND — Forty-eight days before they compete in a crowded primary election, five Democratic candidates for Congress took part in their first forum Wednesday night, fielding an array of questions across three topics: firearms, health care and education.

The forum, held at a downtown Edmond community center and hosted by the Edmond Democratic Women, attracted a crowd of about 75 people. The candidates are competing June 26 for the opportunity to challenge Rep. Steve Russell in a district that includes most of Oklahoma County, along with Seminole and Pottawatomie counties.

In the first question of the evening, Tom Guild was asked whether he would support legislation allowing police to remove firearms from the scene of a domestic violence incident without a court order when the gun is legally owned and not used in the incident.

“I don't think I would support such a bill. I think the U.S. Constitution applies to this situation,” said Guild, a former law professor.

Ed Porter, an Oklahoma City corrections consultant, disagreed, saying he would “absolutely” support such a bill, as well as a ban on assault weapons. Guild said he would support a ban on the manufacture of assault rifles.

“It's these assault weapons that are killing people,” Porter said. “It's assault weapons that people have gone into schools (with) and they massacre people within a matter of seconds.”

Each candidate was asked a different question. Kendra Horn, an Oklahoma City nonprofit executive, was asked whether the Centers for Disease Control should be allowed to research gun violence.

You might also be interested in...
Trump tells Congress to eliminate loan program that irked Steve RussellNew law absolves self-defense accidents in churchChoctaw Nation chosen for federal drone pilot program

Show more
“I think there are several things we need to do. We need to ban bump stocks and high-capacity magazines. We absolutely need to authorize the CDC to do comprehensive research and we need to make sure the background checks are universal and comprehensive,” she said.

Elizabeth Britt, a human resources professional and former Marine, was asked whether she supported universal background checks and said she does. Musician Tyson Todd Meade, when asked whether gun restrictions or improvements in mental health care are more important to curbing mass shootings, said both are crucial.

“I have family members who love their guns and they're very conscientious with their guns and I don't want to take their guns away, but when you have assault-style guns, they are for nothing but murder. I don't know of any other reason you would have an assault-style gun,” Meade said.

All five candidates pledged not to accept campaign donations from the National Rifle Association. Considering their stances on guns, such donations are unlikely to be offered.

Health care

On the topic of health care, Britt was asked whether the Affordable Care Act can be salvaged.

“I don't know. I'll have to ask people smarter than me,” she said. “But what I do believe is ... that as a nation, we should all have insurance. We are the pinnacle of nations in this world and we need to maintain that. We do that when we take care of our citizens.”

The candidates agreed health care is a right, but stated divergent opinions on single-payer health care, sometimes referred to as Medicare for all. Guild and Meade support single-payer but Horn withheld her support. The other two candidates were not asked about it.

“I do think we should have a single-payer (system),” Meade said. “I think for the last 50 years, Medicare has worked really well and we should extend that to everyone. Call it Medicaid, Medicare, whatever you would like to call it. Pay for it with the taxes from legal marijuana.”

Horn, on the other hand, said, “I don't know if Medicare for all is the one answer. I do know we have to pay for it. I do know that every single person that needs health care should have access to it.”

Education views

When the forum topic switched to education, Porter said he would reinstate Obama-era provisions regarding sexual assault on college campuses, which were rescinded by Education Secretary Betsy DeVos last year. Guild said he supports pilot programs in other states for tuition-free education.

“I think the pilot programs are fine. Hopefully they'll work out and I think Bernie Sanders suggested there be a tax on Wall Street transactions to pay for that and I'm okay with that,” said Guild, a former delegate for Sanders during his 2016 presidential run.

Much of the discussion about education deviated into state issues and the recent Oklahoma teacher walkout. Britt said she met with Gov. Mary Fallin at lunch Wednesday to propose the creation of a commission on education and the economy. The commission of legislators, educators, economists and artificial intelligence professionals would compile education data. Britt said she is waiting to hear back from Fallin.

Horn, when asked why U.S. students are falling behind and what can be done, gave a wide-ranging answer that touched on her opposition to DeVos, the need to alleviate student loan debt and the importance of career readiness training.

“Our career tech program here in Oklahoma is one of the most underappreciated jewels of our education system,” she said. “It's actually a national model and there's a lot of federal funding. We need to make sure we are continuing, at a federal government level, to invest in our career tech and readiness training.”

All six Democratic candidates in the 5th District were invited to Wednesday's debate and organizers believed all six would attend. However, candidate Leona Kelley-Leonard, a 47-year-old from Seminole, was not in attendance. Her seat remained empty during the forum.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK is turning more blue by the minute. They're saying "ban on the manufacture of assault rifless" out loud............in Oklahoma.

GunSlingingPlatypus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's disturbing to me is the increase in law enforcement that are anti-2nd amendment. They carry a gun on duty or own a gun at home to protect their family. Even then they're hypocritical and against the 2nd Amendment.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's disturbing to me is the increase in law enforcement that are anti-2nd amendment. They carry a gun on duty or own a gun at home to protect their family. Even then they're hypocritical and against the 2nd Amendment.
That's not hypocrisy; it's completely consistent with the "we're the only ones professional enough" and "the government should exercise power over the peons" philosophies that pervade both parties.

GunSlingingPlatypus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's not hypocrisy; it's completely consistent with the "we're the only ones professional enough" and "the government should exercise power over the peons" philosophies that pervade both parties.

I can agree with you on that to an extent but I know that a majority of law enforcement/corrections do not feel that way and it's only the outspoken minority.

DrewR

Marksman
Reaction score
I will wager we can expect to see more of this. Between the damage done by David Boren and OU in conjunction with 'progressives' leaving California for greener pastures it won’t be long before we look more like Colorado.

LOKNLOD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is why I will continue to refuse to support anyone with a (D) behind their name for any position than sewage scooper. Doesn’t mean the (R)s are much better, but at least they **** things up by failing, whereas the (D) **** things up on purpose.

Anti-gun is part of the party line and they’re either true-believers who’ll push it hard, or useful idiots who’ll tow the line when the time comes. It’s part of the litmus test for being in the power structure.

There’ll be a lot of talk about education this election, and I hope the stupid Republicans can get their fecal matter coagulated enough to not let the masses toss the baby out with the bath water and let the bad guys win.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom