Depriming live primers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have about a hundred primed 06 cases. I was given about a hundred reloads that I had no idea what load was in them. They had some dented and dirty cases too. I pulled all the bullets and now would like to save and reuse the primers if possible. The down side is I have no clue how they were stored in the past. I would probably just used them in reduced plinking loads for the mannlicher shoenauer so if I get a squib it wouldn’t be in a hunting or competition setting. I found this thread but it only answers a couple of my questions. Like, what is the best method to use? Would you just chamber a few empties and see if they go off before going to the trouble?
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/depriming-live-primers.84569/

Last edited:

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have done it before, just go slow. All of the ones I salvaged worked fine. They say if you put some water down in the case, it will render the primer inert, then on when it dries out, it will work properly again. I have
never tried that method. I was pulling some bullets for a rifle I had rebarreled and some of the primers
were coming out. I put a piece of tape over the back of the bullet puller to catch the primer. That did not
work good, it made the primer go off. Scared the crap out of me. That was the only primer I have had
go off, not where it was supposed to be.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, just be slow and gentle pushing them out. You could try touching off a few empty cases, but I bet they go bang. Seems like a lot of work for a hundred primers, but in today's world .......

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been in similar situations and de-primed live primers without issues. Just make sure you don’t have any powders out on the bench, and put on them safety glasses!

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I have deprimed hundreds without incident on regular cases. The one crimped case (old 30-06 danish) I tried popped. I figured it would and was prepared for a bang...kinda uneventful. Now I either just shoot them them like blanks, or neck size and reload for plinkers.
At any rate, I don't go fast, not because of detonation but because of deformation. I just drink beer and take my time.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve deprimed a bunch and never had one go off. That being said, if I were you not knowing if they’re good or not, I’d pull the bullets on a few and fire them to see if they even pop. :anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom