Deputy assigned to Florida school 'never went in' during shooting, sheriff says

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. Most would think I am a kook, but I am constantly in "people" watch mode. In many places that I frequent, I look for exits before I sit down, run scenerios on "what if". Primarily fire is my concern, but more in depth as time spent.
Do any of you think about a window breaking at 3am, dog barking and what to do first? Britches, shoes, kids, gun, phone, Louisville slugger, wife, yell at the dog, bathroom? 1 or 2 story house?
I do. Can't get my wife in concert (teacher) with my concerns.

Yes, plan is running a pistol and hope my balls don't get burned by falling brass. It's been put into action a few times & yes junk was out, no time for pants or shoes.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's been put into action a few times & yes junk was out, no time for pants or shoes.
Yep, when the house alarm went off last August and the 3 Great Pyrenees were attacking something in the garage, my 15 year old son may have been scarred for life seeing me clear the downstairs and into the garage with my trusty AR..... and nothing else. That damn racoon never saw his mistake until the dogs apparently threw it into the window shattering it. lol

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about negligent something or other?
Non-starter. "Duty of care" is one of the elements of negligence, and the courts have repeatedly ruled that law enforcement owes no duty of protection to any person (with certain very limited exceptions that wouldn't apply here).

He's free and clear of the legal system. Doesn't mean society can't make him a pariah, though, and it looks that's already happening--he has a security detail around his house right now.

I recall commenting to a gun dealer friend of mine that Lon Horiuchi has a protective detail. My friend made the comment that "the good news, he needs it." May this coward also spend the rest of his life looking over his shoulder.

Last edited:

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Dave70968, post:law enforcement[/QUOTE]
Key words right there.
Definitely not "serve and protect" anymore.
Rumor has it CYA took Honesty of their slogan recently. Since its secret no one really knows.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about negligent something or other?
Non-starter. "Duty of care" is one of the elements of negligence, and the courts have repeatedly ruled that law enforcement owes no duty of protection to any person (with certain very limited exceptions that wouldn't apply here).

He's free and clear of the legal system. Doesn't mean society can't make him a pariah, though, and it looks that's already happening--he has a security detail around his house right now.

I recall commenting to a gun dealer friend of mine that Lon Horiuchi has a protective detail. My friend made the comment that "the good news, he needs it." May this coward also spend the rest of his life looking over his shoulder.
I may have spoken too quickly. After my post, I read this (from WaPo, of all places):

[Deputy] Peterson is mentioned as part of a 2016 social services agency investigation into Nikolas Cruz, the 19-year-old identified by police as the gunman. According to a Florida Department of Children and Families report detailing that investigation, Peterson was approached by investigators and “refused to share any information … regarding [an] incident that took place with” the teenager.

That same year, the sheriff’s office revealed Thursday, it was told about “third hand information” from a “neighbor’s son” suggesting that Cruz “planned to shoot up the school,” although the specific school was not listed. The sheriff’s office said a deputy contacted the caller, determined that Cruz had knives and a BB gun and sent the information to the school resource officer — presumably Peterson. It is unclear whether he investigated.​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ss-killing-took-place/?utm_term=.a203a4ae3a38

That may change the game a little. If he had a duty to share that information, things could get interesting.

The story also reports that he was hired in July 1985; with his resignation, he also handed in his retirement paperwork, so it looks like he'll be drawing a pension based on 32 years' worth of service. It also mentions that two other deputies have been placed on limited duty, though no details on that were noted.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meanwhile, even a little more about Deputy Peterson:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/education/fl-broward-roc-officer-audit-meeting-20150122-story.html

A group of police officers is fighting to keep their mobile homes on school grounds after an audit blasted the benefits of such an arrangement and called for its end.

The "resident on campus" program allows officers to live rent-free on school property as a way to provide after-hours safety on campus. But the decades-old program, located at 32 schools in Broward, was skewered by a school district audit that found it was poorly managed and did not dramatically reduce crime.

"Frankly, I'm embarrassed," said Henry Mack, chair of the audit committee during a meeting Thursday. "I would shut it down immediately."

About a dozen officers from the program attended the meeting; they called the report skewed and lauded the advantage of keeping law enforcement on school grounds.

"These colleagues work hard. We are crime prevention, an audit report will never show how much we prevent," said Scot Peterson, an officer who has lived at Atlantic Technical College in Coconut Creek since 2000. He said he's arrested several juveniles for breaking into school property.​

So...the brave deputy is willing to arrest kids when it's safe in exchange for rent-free living arrangements, but when it comes time to show his true colors, the only one to be seen is yellow.

May he live forever in infamy.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, plan is running a pistol and hope my balls don't get burned by falling brass. It's been put into action a few times & yes junk was out, no time for pants or shoes.

Yep, when the house alarm went off last August and the 3 Great Pyrenees were attacking something in the garage, my 15 year old son may have been scarred for life seeing me clear the downstairs and into the garage with my trusty AR..... and nothing else. That damn racoon never saw his mistake until the dogs apparently threw it into the window shattering it. lol

:blush: :eek2::rollingla

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know there are a few Navy Officers feeling the pain of their inaction these days.

Negligent homicide I believe is what they have been charged with; even though they were not notified of the situations developing as their subordinates were ordered to do. Could be the HHS (Hillary hugging Sheriff) gets caught up too....

Latest posts

Top Bottom