Deputy fired over Parkland school shooting to be reinstated with back pay: reports

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.foxnews.com/us/sheriffs-deputy-fired-over-parkland-school-shooting-to-be-reinstated-reports?fbclid=IwAR3wUxIKhUpxnwVcfejkvApZPRwQmIh8Gm87i_QvVmF5eiCSW2IM3sjhrLc
Published 18 hours ago
Deputy fired over Parkland school shooting to be reinstated with back pay: reports
By Brie Stimson | Fox News

A Florida sheriff’s sergeant who lost his job after it was discovered he hid behind his car when a shooter at a high school in Parkland first opened fire will reportedly get his job back with back pay.

&

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/...a-school-shooting-commission-day-2-story.html

Last edited:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reads like the Keystone Cops were there, and cowards to boot. I can see not rushing in headlong, but they should have at least got their vest on and started working their way in using what cover and concealment they could. They might could have saved a few lives.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reads like the Keystone Cops were there, and cowards to boot. I can see not rushing in headlong, but they should have at least got their vest on and started working their way in using what cover and concealment they could. They might could have saved a few lives.
I think this incident has created new rules about LEO and school shootings. If I remember right the new Protocol is to make entry immediately. We have some professionals on here that can confirm or correct that statement.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think this incident has created new rules about LEO and school shootings. If I remember right the new Protocol is to make entry immediately. We have some professionals on here that can confirm or correct that statement.

To be honest, protocols be damned, if I was a leo and a school had a shooter, I would be running in there.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To be honest, protocols be damned, if I was a leo and a school had a shooter, I would be running in there.
One would think that is the perfect answer but with the after fact investigations, the rules of the job the LEO had to live by to retain their jobs didn't advocate rushing in if I remember right.
It was unfortunate that additional lives were lost because they were just following workplace rules.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You’re correct about a school shooting prompting changes in the way first responders (armed LEOs) act when arriving on scene at similar incidents, but those changes were enacted after the Columbine shooting which occurred on April 20, 1999 - almost 19 years before Parkland.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Backstrap is correct . Columbine was what changed how LE handles Active Shooter incidents. I've trained with the local PD twice and both instructors said the same thing. The old way gave the perp more time to kill more people.

killerpigeon

Native off the Reservation
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went I was younger and a lot skinnier, I was a tactical medic with a SWAT team. I'm not an expert on active shooter response, but this is what we were told. If you see the shooter, engage, even if alone. If you arrive, and the shooter is inside the building, wait for at least one more officer before going in, but waiting shouldn't be an extended time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom