Deputy Sheriff killed in car crash

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyboy123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okfuskee County Sheriff's Deputy Killed In Crash On I-40
Posted: Sep 11, 2013 7:43PM CDT
Matthew Nuttle, News9.com
An Okfuskee County Sheriff's deputy died in a car wreck on Interstate 40 just west of Okemah Wednesday evening.
The OHP identified the deputy as David Allford, 37, of Wetumka.
Share this Story
Tweet
Facebook
Email
The accident briefly shut down eastbound I-40 at mile marker 218 while emergency crews worked the scene.
According to the Oklahoma Highway Patrol, a trooper requested assistance with a "combative subject." The sheriff's office said it was a possible DUI case and that it dispatched Allford around 4:30 p.m.
The OHP says the left front tire on Allford's 2006 Chevy Tahoe blew out as he responded, causing the Tahoe to run off the highway and hit a cable barrier, then rolling over two times.
The OHP says Allford was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

I heard the seat belts in his vehicle didn't work and the front tires had excessive wear. How could the county send him out like that?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I heard the seat belts in his vehicle didn't work and the front tires had excessive wear. How could the county send him out like that?

You'd be surprised how often guys are sent out with less than properly working equipment. And I promise you the County will put it off on him. Say it was his responsibility to keep his equipment in proper working condition. I sure hope they don't try to keep from paying his family because of that. When I worked for Holiday Inn, Oklahoma City tried to deny an officer's family his pension saying he wasn't on duty when he was killed even though we were required to hire him through the department and he was required to wear his uniform while he was on duty at the hotel. I've never been so disgusted by anything in my life.

My prayers go out to his family, friends and fellow officers and co-workers.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of you would be appalled at the condition of the vehicles leos are sent out in everyday. They may look nice but some of these smaller departments have problems paying for maintenance and replacement vehicles. Vehicle maintenance and fuel is the biggest expense for any department and the easiest to skimp on.
I have not heard that these things played a part in this incident. He was a great guy, and will be missed by many. If you pray, please ad his family to yours.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On KOTV (Tulsa CBS affiliate), the Sheriff, Jack Choate just said upkeep of the vehicle was the deputy's responsibility.

Every officer out there on this board ought to take notice -- make copies of your maintenance logs and keep a running log of every time you ask for and are refused equipment or service by your department's brass or garage. Make sure your family has a copy of this log. It's important. It may mean the difference in them receiving the benefits you had worked so hard for them to have, God forbid it ever comes to that, and the department telling them to go pound sand.

Hopefully, Sheriff Choate will do the right thing.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sad that something like this happened.

Had an officer who was transporting someone end up with a flat tire just down from where I live. The spare had been plugged and was flat as well. I have a good portable compressor so I came back home since I was walking our dog and hopped in my pickup so he could get the tire aired up and make it down the road to have one or the other repaired. He said that the tires always had patches and plugs in them since the pursuit rated tires were so expensive.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never plug a tire on anything other than an ag. implement. Plugs can do more harm than good.Unless you can insert the plug at the same angle as the puncture, you're gonna cause the tire to bulge or seperate at some point.
Patches work fine. Nothing wrong with patches. Raise your kids to use seatbelts. I grew up before shoulder harnesses and I still neglect to use them sometimes because It was never established as a habit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom