Deputy Sheriff killed in car crash

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sad. RIP to Deputy Allford

I'm definitely NOT saying this is the case in this instance, but a lot of officers don't wear their safety restraints. They are afraid of being trapped in a rear-end fire, saving time jumping out during a pursuit or trying to exit the vehicle quickly in the event of ambush. I have seen it over and over. My stepdad was LE for 15 years and would NOT wear a seatbelt, ever. Even in his pov. I have known of and seen a good number of officers that were of this mindset. It might not have even helped in the case with the belt or not.

I hope and pray for his family whatever the case.

This IS true and I think it is sad. I fully support not wearing one when driving through a parking lot or a neighborhood, but highway..... back roads.... it ought to be on for many reasons, #1 safety, #2 it looks bad to the public.

I HATE to hear of officers dying any way, but especially like this.

I've heard more than one officer say that he's never taken a seatbelt off a dead man. Wear your seatbelt.When I reviewed this comment it seemed insinsitive. Look, just wear your damn seatbelt.

I have... in fact, I've held a baby taken out of a properly installed seat too... BUT... for somebody that usually trolls threads and posts nonsense ( :) ), I couldn't agree more.

If an officer is called to my home for a home invasion and he is attempting to get there on bald ass tires in the rain it's going to take a lot longer than it should and he may wreck on the way there.

Is there anything that we can do as Joe Public to scream loud enough to get the officers' vehicles into an acceptable condition? is there a news station in OK that does "Team 2 Investigates" type of stuff? Can we get them to drive around and inspect 100 police cars at random and see what they find?

One guy died because of it. What else has to happen?

People piss and moan about increasing taxes... thus this will never have a resolution. EVERYBODY is okay with giving money to the fire departments, but they never want to fund the PD... you know, because all they ever do is write children tickets for peeing in their front yard...

People seldom realize that the fire department's equipment is only used a handful of times a day, yet they have some of the best equipment money can buy... which I'm fine with... BUT... not so for the PD... I think the newest patrol car I ever had was five years old... the oldest was in 2008 and was a 1997 Crown Vic with 188k on it when I got it. Out of a 10 hour shift, that car is being used 6-8 hours, easy... and assuming that car is only assigned to one officer, that's a pretty hard life. Even worse if it is assigned to two officers.

LEO or not, you are not required to operate unsafe equipment. Just say no and contact OSHA.

I have to agree partly. If you have a car with a serious malfunction or hazard, then you should make the decision to shut it down and use a pool car... yeah, you have to transfer all of your equipment... big deal, the most important part of the job is that you make it home at the end of the night.

While I know this is true that is also a really good way to be a nomad. You will get a bad reputation among dept brass quickly for involving OSHA.

Do departments not have PM schedules to keep their equipment functioning properly? Hell I helped get a Stanley Steemer organized before and even they were on top of their equipment maintenance.

I believe most large departments do, but most smaller ones do not... they rely on the officer to report any issues and to report the mileage on the car so they know when the oil needs to be changed. That's not to say that it is the responsibility of the officer to DO the work or to PAY for the work, but REPORT what the vehicle needs.

Having said all of that, I'll add one final piece... and this is not at all blaming the officer above or even suggesting this was the case, but I've known far too many officers... scratch that... DEPUTIES that drive WAYYYY too fast for non-critical calls. There is absolutely no reason what-so-ever to drive 110 MPH with lights and sirens to a non-injury, minor fender bender... a barking dog... etc... it pisses me off because it not only puts the officer in danger, but it also puts everybody on the road in danger.

I really hate to see another officer killed and I absolutely wish his family, friends and partners the very best, but it kills me to see them die from things that are preventable, whether by that officer or his supervisors. So I'm not blaming him at all, but rather the entire circumstance. :/

Last edited by a moderator:

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I know this is true that is also a really good way to be a nomad. You will get a bad reputation among dept brass quickly for involving OSHA.

Do departments not have PM schedules to keep their equipment functioning properly? Hell I helped get a Stanley Steemer organized before and even they were on top of their equipment maintenance.

I really don't give a damn what the bosses think of me, especially if they're will to my life in jeopardy to save a little money.

Safety is ALWAYS your number one priority, everything else is secondary.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
People seldom realize that the fire department's equipment is only used a handful of times a day, yet they have some of the best equipment money can buy... which I'm fine with... BUT... not so for the PD... I think the newest patrol car I ever had was five years old... the oldest was in 2008 and was a 1997 Crown Vic with 188k on it when I got it. Out of a 10 hour shift, that car is being used 6-8 hours, easy... and assuming that car is only assigned to one officer, that's a pretty hard life. Even worse if it is assigned to two officers.

The insurance company I work for insures a lot of Oklahoma cities/towns and it's not uncommon for them to have Police vehicles that are 20+ years old.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Safety should be every persons highest priority. If your company or department doesn't have the same attitude you've hitched your wagon to the wrong team.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard more than one officer say that he's never taken a seatbelt off a dead man. Wear your seatbelt.When I reviewed this comment it seemed insinsitive. Look, just wear your damn seatbelt.

That's the job of the rescue workers. That's why. Plenty of people die wearing seatbelts and plenty don't. This officer chose not to wear one and it didn't work out for him. From the look of the vehicle after the accident, the seatbelt probably wouldn't have saved him anyway.

I see plenty of LEOs not wearing seatbelts and I'm sure it's for good reason. I imagine with all the gear they wear, a seatbelt would be a major problem if exiting the vehicle quickly. When I seen pics of the SUV, the first thing I noticed was the bald front tire. Pissed me off

RIP

Latest posts

Top Bottom