Dermabond is it really just colored Super Glue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The ER used dermabond to close a head wound on my 3 year old son last Christmas Night (right after that snow storm, boy was it fun getting to the ER)

At first I was relieved because anyone who's watched or helped with the stitching up of a toddler knows it aint fun. The dermabond made the process a lot faster and less stressful.

But then it got infected, and with no ability to drain things got bad quick...luckily anitbiotics got it under control and they didn't have reopen the wound.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used plain old home Super Glue or Crazy Glue to close cuts on my fingers many many times. I just made sure it was clean and watched for signs of infection.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Superglue will lock in bacteria and increase risk of infection. I wouldn't super glue myself instead of having it looked over. At least clean the cut and use some anti-bacterial ointment or something if you're gonna glue yourself.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Superglue will lock in bacteria and increase risk of infection. I wouldn't super glue myself instead of having it looked over. At least clean the cut and use some anti-bacterial ointment or something if you're gonna glue yourself.

If you put ointment on it, the glue won't work.

And guess what happens when your body's own juices seal it over and seal the cut? That's right... bacteria get locked in. That's why it's a good thing to clean it out to remove as much bacteria as possible. And it's also why it's a good thing we have an immune system... to kill bacteria. :D

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, bringing back a long dead thread… After I got the bill from Stillwater Medical Center for $700+ for applying a $30 tube of Dermabond I did a little research just to see if there really was a difference.

First: Super Glue is ethyl cyanacrylate & Dermabond is octyl cyanoacrylate so yes there is a difference. Butyl cyanoacrylate was used as a tissue adhesive before Dermabond came along and is still used for Vet-Med and other things.

Long story short, minus the dye, LocTITE Glass Super Glue “n-butyl cyanoacrylate” appears to be similar to products used before Dermabond, it’s $2.82 at Home Depot and can be had local instead of $30. It is also the only Super Glue I could find that was not ethyl cyanacrylate based. You can very easily look up these MSDS sheets.

I have read that Dermabond has something added to make it more flexible and its stronger than the older n-butyl cyanoacrylates. I do believe that to be a factual statement comparing the two from actual E.R. trips OUCH!

Looking at the MSDS for 3M(TM) Vetbond Tissue Adhesive 1469, its active ingredient is you guessed it… N-butyl cyanoacrylate the same as Loctite ® Glass Glue from Home Depot. It's probably not that simple though.

What does all that mean? You decide I’m not a Doctor and I’m darn sure not giving any advice. ; ) As for me I think I'll order the real Dermabond online, keep that in my home first aid kit and throw the cheap stuff in my hunting kit.

I would really appreciate input from Doctors who might actually know something about the subject.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My fingers do the same thing in the same places..Hurts like son of a gun.. Might just try the superglue thing...Does it sting?
I cut a lot of wood in the winter as well as burn a lot in the house. My fingers crack open and the super glue has worked for years. No it doesn't sting..

Latest posts

Top Bottom