Des Moines paying $125,000 to man detained for filming police parking illegally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockHopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a lot of taxpayer money being thrown away. It'd sure be a lot better if they'd go for a much smaller settlement to be taken directly from the officers involved. Let them make payments out of their own pockets, because every penny that comes out of the public coffers is just made up for by collecting more from the citizens. Be it taxes or road piracy...just my (probably unpopular) opinion.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a lot of taxpayer money being thrown away. It'd sure be a lot better if they'd go for a much smaller settlement to be taken directly from the officers involved. Let them make payments out of their own pockets, because every penny that comes out of the public coffers is just made up for by collecting more from the citizens. Be it taxes or road piracy...just my (probably unpopular) opinion.
Why should it be a much smaller settlement if it comes from the pockets of the ones doing wrong ? Same money but different bank account !

RockHopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why should it be a much smaller settlement if it comes from the pockets of the ones doing wrong ? Same money but different bank account !
Why use a paddle when punching a kid in the face is way faster? Don't take that as a smartassitude...I was just struggling for an analogy. The punishment needs to fit the transgression, and taking that much money, even split a few different ways could easily ruin a person. Fine them, sure. Fire 'em? Sure. End their careers and make them find another. Sure. Not everyone is suited for Police work. But when you ruin somebody, you create just yet one MORE drain on the system/citizens.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why use a paddle when punching a kid in the face is way faster? Don't take that as a smartassitude...I was just struggling for an analogy. The punishment needs to fit the transgression, and taking that much money, even split a few different ways could easily ruin a person. Fine them, sure. Fire 'em? Sure. End their careers and make them find another. Sure. Not everyone is suited for Police work. But when you ruin somebody, you create just yet one MORE drain on the system/citizens.
I disagree with this, because some cops don’t seem to have any problem potentially ruining someone by some of things they do. Turnabouts fair play.
I hope the city at least took those cops to the proverbial wood shed over the illegal detainment and subsequent suit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom