1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Designing your dream knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by HoLeChit, Jan 29, 2020.

1. HoLeChit

HoLeChit Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Alright guys, it’s been a minute since I’ve been around, and I’m looking for some pointers. I have an acquaintance that makes custom knives, and when I say custom, I mean if I can dream it up, he can most likely make it. He’s done fixed blades, folding razors, kitchen knives, all kinds of stuff. I can pick Handle materials, steel, whatever. I’ve decided that I want two knives.

so the meat and potatoes:

I want two knives. One, a solid utility knife that I can use for everything. Opening amazon boxes, cutting food, etc. The other, a self defense fighting knife I can carry when backpacking and when I feel the need when not carrying more modern self defense tools.
    The utility knife: I’m thinking a full polish blade for ease of cleaning, but I worry about upkeep if it is going to be abused. Probably 3”-3.5”, super mild drop point, standard handle. Think Esee 3p type style. I have a 5 and I love it. Something like this. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004WT9UD8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_etLmEbZF7S5ZR

the fighting knife: I’m torn on blade design, if I’m not mistaken you cannot legally carry a double edged blade. I’m thinking of a 1.25” blade, 3/16s thick, 4-4.5” long. Maybe a single grind blade face, with a loop for retention/easier presentation. I’ve never had to use one with a loop, but I like the idea. Probably a more modular ambidextrous handle, and I’m not sure about materials. I was considering some sort of resin or micarta scales, with some sort of grooves for more grip. I’ll attach two pictures of different knives that I am combining together for this idea.
    Thoughts? What would you do? Any considerations, in design, style, legality, or otherwise?
    7357F3BC-A704-424A-8ACD-8883B5CBF2BF.jpeg 231800F7-5658-4A8C-BC13-EBE5614488FB.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  2. SoonerP226

SoonerP226 Sharpshooter

It was illegal to carry a poorly-defined "dirk knife" in Oklahoma, but that language was removed from the statutes a few years ago, and state preemption on knife carry was added, declaring local ordinances on knives null and void. You can carry a switchblade in Oklahoma if that floats your boat.

There may still be regulations on Federal property (Nat'l Parks, CoE lakes, etc) or tribal lands, though, and things are likely to be different in other states.

3. sedona

sedona Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I carry a switchblade pretty often.I had never even thought about carrying them in the National parks or COE lakes.Glad you brought that up.I don't have any dedicated fighting knives but the larger Kabar TDI would come in pretty handy in close up work if needed.

HoLeChit likes this.
  4. Cowcatcher

Cowcatcher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    In my opinion I’d never have a tool that just loops one finger. Ever hung your wedding ring on something? If a person was fighting with a knife with one loop on a finger and the knife became lodged in something or the handle part came out of the hand the person now has a lever hanging from there pinky. That’s just my thoughts.

5. sedona

sedona Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Look at the spyderco yohimbo which is a folder or the ronin which is the same style but fixed blade

6. Ignored Member

Ignored Member Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Have him make a prison shank with bedsheet wrapped handle.

Cowcatcher and okierider like this.
  7. Fyrtwuck

Fyrtwuck Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    It needs a prison wallet to go with it.

8. Ignored Member

Ignored Member Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Customer supplied.

Cowcatcher likes this.