Designing your dream knife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
My preference in blades would be a Tanto. They just seem stronger tipped and easier to thrust. I have always loved the K-Bar size and strength though. Do they make a K-Bar Tanto? I like the K-Bar fighting knife grip but I would add flatter sides for grip and a small ridge longitudinally for orientation. It would let you know which way the blade is oriented at all times and wouldn't hinder the handling like finger grooves would.

I also agree with Cowcatcher on the ring.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my opinion I’d never have a tool that just loops one finger. Ever hung your wedding ring on something? If a person was fighting with a knife with one loop on a finger and the knife became lodged in something or the handle part came out of the hand the person now has a lever hanging from there pinky. That’s just my thoughts.

I agree with that sentiment. I’m a mechanic by trade, and don’t like anything being wrapped around an appendage. But My thought process is that without a hilt to stop my hand, I need something to prevent my hand from sliding up to the blade. The majority of my training revolves around holding the knife in an overhand style fashion, thus using my index finger in the hole.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
My preference in blades would be a Tanto. They just seem stronger tipped and easier to thrust. I have always loved the K-Bar size and strength though. Do they make a K-Bar Tanto? I like the K-Bar fighting knife grip but I would add flatter sides for grip and a small ridge longitudinally for orientation. It would let you know which way the blade is oriented at all times and wouldn't hinder the handling like finger grooves would.

I also agree with Cowcatcher on the ring.
I’ve considered a tanto style blade, however they can be difficult to sharpen and the tango style prevents me from having a double edged blade, traditionally. I am very familiar with using a kabar, however it was traditionally used as more of a utility field knife, and I feel that a fairbairn Sykes style knife would be better suited as a purely self defense weapon, which is what I am looking for in this case.

Latest posts

Top Bottom