Designing your dream knife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright guys, it’s been a minute since I’ve been around, and I’m looking for some pointers. I have an acquaintance that makes custom knives, and when I say custom, I mean if I can dream it up, he can most likely make it. He’s done fixed blades, folding razors, kitchen knives, all kinds of stuff. I can pick Handle materials, steel, whatever. I’ve decided that I want two knives.

so the meat and potatoes:

I want two knives. One, a solid utility knife that I can use for everything. Opening amazon boxes, cutting food, etc. The other, a self defense fighting knife I can carry when backpacking and when I feel the need when not carrying more modern self defense tools.
The utility knife: I’m thinking a full polish blade for ease of cleaning, but I worry about upkeep if it is going to be abused. Probably 3”-3.5”, super mild drop point, standard handle. Think Esee 3p type style. I have a 5 and I love it. Something like this. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004WT9UD8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_etLmEbZF7S5ZR

the fighting knife: I’m torn on blade design, if I’m not mistaken you cannot legally carry a double edged blade. I’m thinking of a 1.25” blade, 3/16s thick, 4-4.5” long. Maybe a single grind blade face, with a loop for retention/easier presentation. I’ve never had to use one with a loop, but I like the idea. Probably a more modular ambidextrous handle, and I’m not sure about materials. I was considering some sort of resin or micarta scales, with some sort of grooves for more grip. I’ll attach two pictures of different knives that I am combining together for this idea.
Thoughts? What would you do? Any considerations, in design, style, legality, or otherwise?
7357F3BC-A704-424A-8ACD-8883B5CBF2BF.jpeg231800F7-5658-4A8C-BC13-EBE5614488FB.jpeg

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if I’m not mistaken you cannot legally carry a double edged blade.
It was illegal to carry a poorly-defined "dirk knife" in Oklahoma, but that language was removed from the statutes a few years ago, and state preemption on knife carry was added, declaring local ordinances on knives null and void. You can carry a switchblade in Oklahoma if that floats your boat.

There may still be regulations on Federal property (Nat'l Parks, CoE lakes, etc) or tribal lands, though, and things are likely to be different in other states.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a switchblade pretty often.I had never even thought about carrying them in the National parks or COE lakes.Glad you brought that up.I don't have any dedicated fighting knives but the larger Kabar TDI would come in pretty handy in close up work if needed.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my opinion I’d never have a tool that just loops one finger. Ever hung your wedding ring on something? If a person was fighting with a knife with one loop on a finger and the knife became lodged in something or the handle part came out of the hand the person now has a lever hanging from there pinky. That’s just my thoughts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom