Did I do something stupid? a 45 for a 10mm?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never gone in for 38's or 9's, never. I have always hankered for big, magnum type guns, especially on duty. I have said many times, "If they made an 18 wheeler to fit a holster, I'd wear it." Now that being said, it was the 70's and times were lean so I never could afford an N frame 41 or 44 magnum. I have shot them a lot and I loved them but the departments and my wallet thwarted that possibility. I carried a Model 13, 4 inch for 10 years then with some coin and my 13, graduated to the Colt 1911 45 and never looked back.

Well, I was at the gun show with my Springfield XDM 45 with a 4.5 inch barrel and I was trying to find a 4.5 inch Springfield 10mm. That was my plan. I found a fella who had one on order and he had a 3.8 inch barrel XD on order and I had my choice! Saweet! Now comes my dilemma. Liking my subcompact 40 a whole bunch for a daily carry and I don't really notice the "snappiness" everyone talks about not liking, I opted for the 3.8 barrel on the 10mm. My cousin says it's gonna be like shooting a 357 in a snubbie, pure punishment. I disagreed with him but, and I say but with caution, I haven't ever fired a 10mm.

I have been stupidly watching reviews of the 3.8 10mm and none have been glowing. I have probably jinxed it by prejudicing myself against it by doing so.
I can wear a full sized 1911 or that 4.5 inch 45 all day without problems. The subcompact 40 is like a snubnose to me in weight compared to the full sized guns.

I will get the gun Thursday, but might not get to test-er-out until later after Christmas. My cousin said I shoulda got the 4.5 inch like I had planned especially if I liked the 45 I had.

Did I screw up?

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before my accident at work, I had a death grip. One of the things that convinced me to retire was my constant dropping of tools and lack of sensory feeling in my right hand. I have been using a springy thingy and a rubber mesh and have regained a bunch of my grip back.

1671597572491.png

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven’t found 10mm to be punishing, but my experience has been with a 1911 platform, a 4.5” XDm, and a 4” N Frame. The 4.5” XDm was a little “muzzle flippy”, but I also tend to shoot 9mm more than anything handgun wise. I figure you’ll be just fine. If anything, adding a rail mounted muzzle weight will likely help with any muzzle flip/recoil issues you think you may have.

Rugerscout80

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of any poly frame guns over .40 cal. Just a personal preference. I carry multiple cals on different occasions. If carrying a .45 I always prefer my sig 1911 compact carry. When I'm carrying a 9 it's usually a glock or sig platform. I felt like the back to zero time on a poly frame 45 was too much for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom