Did someone die at Banner Road gun range?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I honestly don't think the issue here is whether you follow the rules and in fact didn't read that in the OP. The issue (in my mind at least) is the way in which it was handled. I find yelling and screaming at someone on or near the firing line unacceptable unless calling a cease fire to the line. Otherwise, calm quiet instruction will get you a lot further, especially when you are dealing with a "customer" who has paid for the "pleasure" of using your facility.

Could not the same thing have been accomplished had the RSO calmly walked over, greeted the OP and said..."BTW we have a rule that all firearms be pointed downrange at all times and I'd like for you to comply immediately to my request in a safe manner." Then provide assistance if needed.

When you escalate the situation, people get nervous. Nervous people tend to be more prone to accidents in my experience. Then again I've only been doing this for 25 years or so.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I honestly don't think the issue here is whether you follow the rules and in fact didn't read that in the OP. The issue (in my mind at least) is the way in which it was handled. I find yelling and screaming at someone on or near the firing line unacceptable unless calling a cease fire to the line. Otherwise, calm quiet instruction will get you a lot further, especially when you are dealing with a "customer" who has paid for the "pleasure" of using your facility.

Could not the same thing have been accomplished had the RSO calmly walked over, greeted the OP and said..."BTW we have a rule that all firearms be pointed downrange at all times and I'd like for you to comply immediately to my request in a safe manner." Then provide assistance if needed.

When you escalate the situation, people get nervous. Nervous people tend to be more prone to accidents in my experience. Then again I've only been doing this for 25 years or so.
I agree completely with your statement, and have never been to Banner range, but from what I've read on here, I'd never go there in the first place with all the other restrictions the guy has.
That being said, if you have nowhere else to go, that would be the place I guess.
Diplomacy vs the hard core idiotic attack the guy took was insane. Make you remove the buffer tube and stock before allowing you to leave the range? That would have got an immediate Fawk you. Stupid. How would that have happened? Did he provide you with the tools to remove the castle nut? What was the purpose of removing the buffer tube and stock?

Johnson184

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My friend had an armorer's wrench in his bag. I tried removing just the stock but it still wouldn't fit.
I was really flustered with the guy watching me struggle to fit both guns inside with both barrels pointing downrange. In hindsight, I should have just carried the lower in my hands to leave the range and then reassembled it in the parking lot.
Shortest range trip I've ever had.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Put 'em back in the way you brought them in...whats he gonna do...kick you out?
To hell with taking the gun apart, thats crazy talk.
Once you had that buffer tube off you should have deposited it in his backside.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Put 'em back in the way you brought them in...whats he gonna do...kick you out?
To hell with taking the gun apart, thats crazy talk.
Once you had that buffer tube off you should have deposited it in his backside.

Agreed... you'd already been asked to leave. What was he gonna do, call the cops? F00k him. Guy's a total ********* making someone totally disassemble their gun, when simply separating the lower from upper would have been more than enough SHOULD he have been a ********* enough to make those demands.

Whoever he is - he is/was out of line. Period.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Johnson184 that is a long ways from Tulsa.
I assume you were here with buddies.

I have shot there many times in the last 7 years never any issues like that.. he must have got dinked pretty bad.

Here is a thought that will greatly help you out.
You have multiple friends shooting and Banner is $10 a head to shoot.
If you have a valid OK hunting or fishing license or a wildlife passport you can shoot for free at Lexington gun range.
I go there very often.. the range is patrolled much more often and the ranger will check license .

They are keeping it very clean and new rules are taking effect
Only clay and paper targets or target stuff.. no more TV sets etc.. I like it ..

You all can save money going there instead of the 10 a head to Harry.

devildog93

New to the site!
Reaction score

You obviously didn't learn gun handling in the Marine Corps. Yelling works just fine. In fact, you can't get the attention of some people without it. It may be unnecessary for some folks, but others probably need it. People need to quit being butthurt by any little thing and acting like fragile flowers. They just had a shooting at this range, so i am sure nerves are frayed. I would go in playing it very, very safe and watching my p's and q's above and beyond normal. Who knows what kind of pressure the range in under after that current mishap? Why not try to help instead of being a victim?

Latest posts

Top Bottom