Did supressor cause gun tio quit cycling the action?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Was shooting my Ruger 22/45 with my new Sparrow SS can today. After about a hundred and fifty rounds it quit cycling. Had to manually cycle the action to keep shooting. My question is, will the use of a can force crud into the action causing it to do this? Does the can create a back pressure that forces dirty gases to gum up the action prematurely?

Michael

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In a word, yes. Run a bore snake through it a couple of times and drop some lightweight oil on the bolt rails. That should get it back up and running pretty quick.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was shooting my Ruger 22/45 with my new Sparrow SS can today. After about a hundred and fifty rounds it quit cycling. Had to manually cycle the action to keep shooting. My question is, will the use of a can force crud into the action causing it to do this? Does the can create a back pressure that forces dirty gases to gum up the action prematurely?

Michael

Yes running a suppressor will cause your gun to get dirty more quickly. This makes running cleaner burning ammo more important. What brand of ammo were you shooting?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot depends on the action type also. My 21A will only run about 50 rounds before getting failures to eject (it doesn't even have an extractor). My Buckmark will go several hundred rounds, but you can tell when it's getting too dirty to run efficiently. When I had a P-22, it was about 200 rounds between cleaning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom