Did you ever?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have two freaking screws holding up everything?

Trying to fix my frig again as water is going into the frig section and getting everywhere. Have it unplugged, thawed out, and trying to get to the drain line to make sure it is clear. Two hex head screws just will not come out. I have the correct size socket on them and they turn but will not back out. Feels like maybe they are stripped out but even a little upwards pressure is not making them back out.

Any ideas short of a 357 at close range? I have already said all the required cuss words and a few I made up on the spot. Still not working.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of times working a flat blade screwdriver under the head of the screw while turning will get it started but sometimes will have to use the screwdriver to engage the threads to get out.
The screws are down in a little recessed area. I had to slip a butter knife under the plastic and try to put upwards pressure on them. No way to get under the screw heads.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if they are screwed into those welded nuts (pem nuts) that have broken loose? I’ve had that happen a couple of times where I’ve taken 15 screws out and that dang #16 just spun and spun. IF that’s the case about all you can do is cut off the head unless you can somehow get to the back and hold the nut still.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if they are screwed into those welded nuts (pem nuts) that have broken loose? I’ve had that happen a couple of times where I’ve taken 15 screws out and that dang #16 just spun and spun. IF that’s the case about all you can do is cut off the head unless you can somehow get to the back and hold the nut still.
That is what I am thinking, or it is screwed into a plastic "nut" and stripped out. So far it looks like I am going to have to take the back of the frig off and see if I can get to the drain line that way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom