Did you know?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness."

https://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/storage_handling.aspx#consider

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
1985 NFPA standards LOL!

Quantities exceeding 800 lb (363 kg), but not exceeding 5,000 lb (2268 kg), may be stored in a building if the following requirements are met:

1. The warehouse or storage room shall not be accessible to unauthorized personnel.
  2. Smokeless propellant shall be stored in nonportable storage cabinets having wood walls at least 1 inch. (25.4 mm) thick and having shelves with no more than 3 ft (0.92 m) separation between shelves.
  3. No more than 400 lb (181 kg) shall be stored in any one cabinet.
  4. Cabinets shall be located against walls of the storage room or warehouse with at least 40 ft (12.2 m) between cabinets.
  5. Separation between cabinets may be reduced to 250 ft (6.1m) if barricades twice the height of the cabinets are attached to the wall, midway between each cabinet. The barricades shall extend at least 10 ft (3m) outward, shall be firmly attached to the wall, and shall be constructed of 1/4 inch. (6.4-mm) boiler plate, 2-in. (51-mm) thick wood, brick, or concrete block.
  6. Smokeless propellant shall be separated from materials classified by the U.S. Department of Transportation as flammable liquids, flammable solids, and oxidizing materials by a distance of 25 ft (7.63mm) or by a fire partition having a fire resistance of at least 1 hour.
  7. The building shall be protected by an automatic sprinkler system installed accordingly to NFPA 13, Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems.
(d) Smokeless propellants not stored according to (a), (b) and (c) above shall be stored in a Type 4 magazine constructed and located according to Chapter 6.

Reprinted with permission from NFPA495-85, Standard for the Manufacture, Transportation, Storage and Use of Explosive Materials, (c) 1985,

Type 4 magazine for 5,000 pounds or more.

A type 4 magazine is a building, igloo or “Army-type structure”, tunnel, dugout, box, trailer, or a semitrailer or other mobile magazine.

(a) Outdoor magazines
(1) General. Outdoor magazines are to be fire-resistant, weather-resistant, and theft-resistant. The ground around outdoor magazines must slope away for drainage or other adequate drainage be provided. When unattended, vehicular magazines must have wheels removed or otherwise be effectively immobilized by kingpin locking devices or other methods approved by the Director.
(2) Construction. Outdoor magazines are to be constructed of masonry, metal-covered wood, fabricated metal, or a combination of these materials. Foundations are to be constructed of brick, concrete, cement block, stone, or metal or wood posts. If piers or posts are used, in lieu of a continuous foundation, the space under the building is to be enclosed with fire-resistant material. The walls and floors are to be constructed of, or covered with, a nonsparking material or lattice work. The doors must be metal or solid wood covered with metal.
(3) Hinges and hasps. Hinges and hasps are to be attached to doors by welding, riveting, or bolting (nuts on inside of door). Hinges and hasps must be installed so that they cannot be removed when the doors are closed and locked.
(4) Locks. Each door is to be equipped with
(i) two mortise locks;
(ii) two padlocks fastened in separate hasps and staples;
(iii) a combination of a mortise lock and a padlock;
(iv) a mortise lock that requires two keys to open; or
(v) a three-point lock. Padlocks must have at least five tumblers and case-hardened shackle of at least 3⁄8 inch diameter. Padlocks must be protected with not less than 1⁄4 inch steel hoods constructed so as to prevent sawing or lever action on the locks, hasps, and staples. These requirements do not apply to magazine doors that are adequately secured on the inside by means of a bolt, lock, or bar that cannot be actuated from the outside.
(b) Indoor magazine
(1) General. Indoor magazines are to be fire-resistant and theft-resistant. They need not be weather-resistant if the buildings in which they are stored provide protection from the weather. No indoor magazine is to be located in a residence or dwelling. The indoor storage of low explosives must not exceed a quantity of 50 pounds. More than one indoor magazine may be located in the same building if the total quantity of explosive materials stored does not exceed 50 pounds. Detonators that will not mass detonate must be stored in a separate magazine and the total number of electric detonators must not exceed 5,000.
(2) Construction. Indoor magazines are to be constructed of masonry, metal-covered wood, fabricated metal, or a combination of these materials. The walls and floors are to be constructed of, or covered with, a nonsparking material. The doors must be metal or solid wood covered with metal.
(3) Hinges and hasps. Hinges and hasps are to be attached to doors by welding, riveting, or bolting (nuts on inside of door). Hinges and hasps must be installed so that they cannot be removed when the doors are closed and locked.
(4) Locks. Each door is to be equipped with
(i) two mortise locks;
(ii) two padlocks fastened in separate hasps and staples;
(iii) a combination of a mortise lock and padlock;
(iv) a mortise lock that requires two keys to open; or
(v) a three-point lock. Padlocks must have at least five tumblers and a case-hardened shackle of at least 3⁄8 inch diameter. Padlocks must be protected with not less than 1⁄4 inch steel hoods constructed so as to prevent sawing or lever action on the locks, hasps, and staples. Indoor magazines located in secure rooms that are locked as provided in this subparagraph may have each door locked with one steel padlock (which need not be protected by a steel hood) having at least five tumblers and a case-hardened shackle of at least 3⁄8 inch diameter, if the door hinges and lock hasp are securely fastened to the magazine. These requirements do not apply to magazine doors that are adequately secured on the inside by means of a bolt, lock, or bar that cannot be actuated from the outside.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Black powder has it's own requirements for storage.
I went into H&H a few years ago and asked for some black powder. Clerk handed me some Pyrodex.
No, I want FFF black powder. He said it was black powder.
No, it's a substitute for black powder. Says so on the can.
Manage came over and told me he had to go to the back of the store and get it from the magazine it has to be stored in. Can't be on the store shelves.
As black powder can be called an explosive, I guess that is why they do have that requirement.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Black powder has it's own requirements for storage.
I went into H&H a few years ago and asked for some black powder. Clerk handed me some Pyrodex.
No, I want FFF black powder. He said it was black powder.
No, it's a substitute for black powder. Says so on the can.
Manage came over and told me he had to go to the back of the store and get it from the magazine it has to be stored in. Can't be on the store shelves.
As black powder can be called an explosive, I guess that is why they do have that requirement.

I have a black powder magazine , and its probably an ok idea to have one if you want to keep more than a pound or so at the house . Black Powder ain't smokeless

1686222768630.png

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also check your local fire codes some are more restrictive but some like mine are old out dated and doesnt make the distinction of bp or smokeless

Latest posts

Top Bottom