Different references, different data?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the day when Ruger came out with the .44 mag semi auto rifle, manufacturers came out with loads on the shelf for .44 mag pistol, and .44 mag rifles that could take more pressure.
The public thought the rifle rounds should be fine in their S&W pistols as a +P or something resulting in several over pressure issues with pistols.
All .44 mag factory ammo is now relegated to pistol caliber pressures.
I’ve reached over 2000 FPS with the Ruger semi auto rifle with zero signs of over pressure using 240 grain bullets.
Considering the distance this rifle has been used which is under 75 yards to take deer, it’s pretty deadly.
Recently acquired a .44 mag lever gun that will need to get a load worked up for this upcoming deer season.
This rifle needs to draw blood to remain in the safe.
I have read several times in different places that 44 mag vs 45 Colt in levers are similar. It is stated that the 44s are stronger because of a slightly thicker chamber wall. So as to what I have read, just throwing this pressure out there, say the 44m can handle 35k, the same in 45c is 33k-ish. This of course I am understanding it right, but all the info is still mostly Greek to me haha.
I’m by no means offering advice, since I’m the one in the learning phase, what I’m getting at, is as you find info you could pass it on to me!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have read several times in different places that 44 mag vs 45 Colt in levers are similar. It is stated that the 44s are stronger because of a slightly thicker chamber wall. So as to what I have read, just throwing this pressure out there, say the 44m can handle 35k, the same in 45c is 33k-ish. This of course I am understanding it right, but all the info is still mostly Greek to me haha.
I’m by no means offering advice, since I’m the one in the learning phase, what I’m getting at, is as you find info you could pass it on to me!
I’ll let Chuck Hawks answer your questions.
https://chuckhawks.com/high-pressure45.htm

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Chuck has some fantastic loads, and even better overall articles, but the only loads I’ve seen in his articles are for a 292 gr bullet! Unless I’m just too stupid to figure them out, which is entirely possible! Lol

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Chuck has some fantastic loads, and even better overall articles, but the only loads I’ve seen in his articles are for a 292 gr bullet! Unless I’m just too stupid to figure them out, which is entirely possible! Lol
I posted his article to emphasize that the .45 Colt has the potential to exceed the .44 mag in velocity but factory built guns and .45 Colt brass are not designed to withstand those pressures.
Firearms designed to shoot high pressure magnum loads are typically built of stronger alloys and thicker chambers.
I own a S&W 25-5 in .45 Colt. Killed several deer with it using 240 grain HP at 1100 FPS which is not a hot load with complete pass through on the deer. Pics posted on this forum in the past.
Rifles in .45 Colt are stronger if in modern firearms, but there is no reason to push the limits.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to understand each company uses different TEST guns to build load data from which gives different data , Md 70 22", Md 776 18", Md 1 20" or universal block each gives different data ,how old the data is , as the companies mainly test the new sexy powders over the old powders if they have not been updated in the last 10 yrs , Different bullets same shape or wt have different BC's

Latest posts

Top Bottom