Diller Boppin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are nasty creatures. When I lived in Pawnee county my German shepherd hating them as much as the ranchers. She would hole one of those things and bark like mad till I came out and shot it. I have never seen an animal that was able to plow rows through your yard so quickly and efficiently. Like a tiny little plow. I love shooting those nasty critters. I always heard their bellies were covered with diseases.

My most fond memory was shooting one as he ran away from me with an AR. He split right down the back like a samari had hit him. It was the craziest thing he was like a loaf a split top bread from tail to snout.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never knew how high they could jump until I shot just under one's belly one time. Holy cow! I swear, he jumped four feet straight up! I was laughing too hard for a follow-up shot.
Thats why so many are killed by vehicles. Most critters hunker down when passed over by a vehicle, dillers jump.
They can wreak havoc on an exhaust system. Don't ask me how I know.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never knew how high they could jump until I shot just under one's belly one time. Holy cow! I swear, he jumped four feet straight up! I was laughing too hard for a follow-up shot.
Shot one with a .22mag handgun when I was 16 or 17 that did the same thing (several times in fact). When it stopped jumping, it was grave-yard dead.
:drunk2:

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats why so many are killed by vehicles. Most critters hunker down when passed over by a vehicle, dillers jump.
They can wreak havoc on an exhaust system. Don't ask me how I know.
They've been known to wreck a few grilles on cars and trucks, too. That's why they're called the State Bird of Texas.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't tell you how many we have killed on our place. Wife has never killed anything in her life intentionally, but one night while I was in Cleveland Oh she called and said the diller was destroying our yard. Told her to get the .410 and go shoot it. I waited on the phone and heard the shot. She came back on and (sounding giddy) saying she thought she got it but wasn't sure. Said it jumped at the shot.
I got home a few days later, and asked what direction it ran, and she pointed at the North fence. With a North wind, it didn't take getting very close to the fence to know she had been successful.
She has killed a few snakes after that episode.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had one stand up like a prairie dog today. He was sniffing the air. Evidently he didn't wind us fast enough cuz my wife put a .22 in his chest before he could haul ass.
They're not exactly the sharpest crayon in the box. :D

A friend with his wife and two kids came home after dark once, and a 'dillo was rootin' in the front yard. He told everyone to be quiet, and they'd see how close they could get to it.

They actually walked right up to it, and watched it root for a good while. When they got tired of watching it, he reached down and touched it.

He said it popped its head up and froze for a few seconds, then took off at top speed. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom