Dillon 550 vs 650

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
650 for me. It will load all the calibers I need to load. As far as the primer change, I bought a second primer assembly. Two bolts and the primer punch and I’m done. I try to pre-plan my reloading so the I can lessen the primer assembly changes. There are some aftermarket items that will make the Dillon function better and I think well worth the money.

I started with the Square Deal B, but later sold it for the 650. I was thinking about the 1050, but the price of the caliber conversions was more than I wanted to pay. Plus, according to Dillon the 1050 only has a one year warranty cause they consider it a commercial machine.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is that not what I said? Sorry for the confusion.

I'm not sure you caused the confusion. I may have.
When the OP said he was comparing the 550 B to the 550 C, I thought he was comparing the two RL models, the RL550B that was and the RL550 C which superseded it. I didn't know if he was looking at new old stock from a dealer, used, or what. Dillon also markets a "BL" "basic loader" version without a powder drop. However, it is not very well known and rarely referenced. You can also buy the funnel used with the BL model and use it with the RL model if you want to more precisely measure the powder load.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Professor. How about posting some pictures of your set ups. IIRC you have some automated Dillons.

Below,
Dillon RL550B on the left, Redding T7 in the middle, Hornady LnL on the right, I had just picked up my first Dillon 650 seen just behind the T7.
5bdbe983dd4a022fb1dc88c8e4956836.jpg

Below
LnL was sold to fund more Dillon Equipment. Moved the 650 to front center. Added another 550.

c9904d56108485127367baf7070fe5d2.jpg

Below
Added another 650 and sold a 550. 650 in the middle has a bullet feeder. With this setup, I could assemble 1K 9mm rounds in 47 minutes. Brass pre-lubed and primer tubes filled.
65821113fd4644a8885f1c0cee03cd67.jpg

Below
Current setup. 550, 650 with a bullet feeder, two 1050s with Mark 7s. RF 100 primer filler. One 1050 is constantly setup for 9mm. The other processes brass primarily, but will see the bullet feeder move to it for other duties. It is easy to "sustain" 1K-1.2K rounds per hour loading 9 on this 1050 using the RF100 filler. That include 100% case gauging the rounds and not prepping everything like the 650 rate above. The 550 and 650 still get some use. The 650 in the back has been since sold to finance more 1050 options.
658fbb7d5a58ac0da2f8a491e68595c9.jpg

Above in operation

Last edited:

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking about the 1050, but the price of the caliber conversions was more than I wanted to pay. Plus, according to Dillon the 1050 only has a one year warranty cause they consider it a commercial machine.

I think some people focus on the warranty on the 1050 too much. Yes, it is considered a commercial machine so they are expecting a large increase in wear. The 1050 is still warranted for life for defects. The 1-year warranty is toward normal wear. Anything electrical or electronic is 1-year like your 650 is.

Dillon has taken an official stand that putting an autodrive will void the warranty. However, I know first hand that "it depends". One of my 1050s was bought 2nd hand and experienced a primer detonation just prior to delivery. Dillon replaced the parts knowing it was equipped with an autodrive.
Since I have had the 2 units I have put over 100k cycles on each. I have replaced 2 case insertion springs and 1 case insertion bolt. The bolt was my fault. I was out $9 total.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The professor has far more room and resources than I have. My focus has been on the 650. I’m always on the lookout for ways to make it better. There is a seller on eBay named snowshooze located in Alaska who has turned out some very good improvements to the machine.

As the weather gets better, I hope to be at the range and matches more often. Im getting behind.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The professor has far more room and resources than I have. My focus has been on the 650. I’m always on the lookout for ways to make it better. There is a seller on eBay named snowshooze located in Alaska who has turned out some very good improvements to the machine.

As the weather gets better, I hope to be at the range and matches more often. Im getting behind.

This is a pretty nice mod if you don’t have it.

a006887e42757c65e9d7c33e1245ac6d.jpg

On the when you stroke the press it advances another primer. When you are finishing up a run, you send 4 live prime out to the “ski ramp” (or the live collection bottle if you have added that upgrade). I always remove the bolt and nylon block at the point. Then bolted it back up after 1-2 strokes when I started a new run. This gizmo has a ball detent and just slides back and forth when needed.

Yes I know, $25 is quite a bit to avoid unbolting the nylon ramp block. But, I have no regrets on this one at all. Very well designed and machined.

Look at all the pictures.
https://www.ebay.com/p/Dillon-Primer-Stop-Switch-for-XL-650-SL-900/1538024197

There is another competing unit that is hinged. However you have to remove the powder lockout rod to swing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom