Dillon 650...POS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have rebuilt and repaired two old neglected 650’s. The problems you describe are easily fixable. I currently run a 650 just for 9mm, and a 550 for everything else I reload.

powder problems are either from a jerking during the indexing of the shell plate or you are using the wrong probe on the powder cop device. priming station issues are almost always fixed by fine tuning and adjustments.

Bring it over to my shop and we will have it cranking out ammo in a hour.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your powder spill issues are being caused by the sudden stopping motion of your shell plate indexing into each position, I'd highly recommend looking into this kit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-XL-650-XL-750-Premium-Performance-Improvements-Kit/324102606557?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

It replaces the factory shell plate detent ball with a low mass bearing that reduces the engery when the shell plate indexes. It also comes with a replacement spring that goes under that detent ball.

There is also a bearing that goes atop the shell plate that your ejector slides on to, as well as a new feed ram cam follower. The new feed ram has a bearing on the end of it, and eliminates that spot from needing future lubrication.

I installed these in my 750 and my powder spillage disappeared. The 750's run pretty good out of the box, but with this kit, it made a good press run fantastic!

These are made in Alaska, so it took a little over a week for the parts to get here once they shipped, but it is well worth the cost. He also makes larger upgrade kits that have more replacement parts, but the one I listed above lined out any issues I had with my press. You can check out all his Dillon upgrade items at: https://www.ebay.com/str/snowshooze

Last edited:

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So is it just me or what? This thing slings powder everywhere like a three year old having a temper tantrum. On top of that the priming system is a steaming pile of dog poo. And half the time it won't fully throw a new case in line to go into the die on the first station. Never had these problems on my 550. I see now why Dillon updated to the 750. So am I overlooking something? Anybody else have a 650 and these problems or just me?

Based on most of the reply’s here it would seem your assumption “just me” imay be correct.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 650 does take a little fine tuning to get running smoothly. Don’t get in a big hurry and try to crank out more then the machine or your experience with it allows for.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1) If it's dropping powder from the powder funnel after the handle has/is returning make sure it's absolutely clean and lube free by cleaning with acetone or alcohol. Some fine ball powders will get by the slides in the measure and rain down all over the shell plate. Vinyl tape can help with this. Flake and stick are not a problem at all IME.

2) A crap ton of problems are alleviated by bolting your bench to the wall. If the thing is shaking, any at all, it ain't solid enough. I have mine on a Gladiator butcher block maple table top workbench and it still needs to be bolted. Ideally there is no movement AT ALL....

General tips: Every few hundred run an alcohol soaked q-tip through your primer tubes and keep a can of aerosol duster handy to keep the primer disk cleaned out. That's probably the best tool I've found yet for generally keeping things clean around the shell plate and primer disk. I basically don't have any trouble with priming and see the 750 as a disappointing downgrade myself. YMMV.

Use synthetic wheel bearing grease in the link pins where Dillon says to, Froglube PASTE (or grease but FL is much cleaner) on all the powder measure parts and plastic bits that Dillon says to grease. Motor oil the shaft. It'll run for years. I've yet to have to replace a ring indexer but I don't ham fist it either. The bearing on the shell plate mod is worth doing, I keep a very slight bit of tension on it to alleviate the popping at index.

Snowshoes' stuff on ebay looks great but I haven't partaken just yet...

Latest posts

Top Bottom