Dillon 650...POS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have one, but I've never heard anything else bad about any of their models.

Maybe call Dillon? I hear their customer service is top notch.

At the moment, I have NOT been impressed with their customer service. Kind of a sidebar to the thread, but their email response time is 1-2 weeks, and that doesn't guarantee a response that makes sense --- so if you have to send a follow-up you get to wait another week or two. That was on a simple warranty replacement.

The other thing is that I ordered a conversion kit on my 550 for 6.5 Creedmoor because their website said I needed shell plate "M". After getting it and finding a plate "1" in it, and then about 2-3 weeks worth of emails back and forth because either A) Their website was wrong or B) they sent me the wrong part, it turned out that their website was wrong. So I'd ordered stuff I didn't need. Then they wanted me to pay shipping because their crappy website was wrong.

Not a super good experience on first contacts with them after hearing so much good stuff. Thankfully the machine itself runs like a top for the most part.

All that said, if you don't want to mess with it, then my suggestion goes along with @Cowcatcher where you could probably sell high, wait a bit and then have a fully funded upgrade.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At the moment, I have NOT been impressed with their customer service. Kind of a sidebar to the thread, but their email response time is 1-2 weeks, and that doesn't guarantee a response that makes sense --- so if you have to send a follow-up you get to wait another week or two. That was on a simple warranty replacement.

The other thing is that I ordered a conversion kit on my 550 for 6.5 Creedmoor because their website said I needed shell plate "M". After getting it and finding a plate "1" in it, and then about 2-3 weeks worth of emails back and forth because either A) Their website was wrong or B) they sent me the wrong part, it turned out that their website was wrong. So I'd ordered stuff I didn't need. Then they wanted me to pay shipping because their crappy website was wrong.

Not a super good experience on first contacts with them after hearing so much good stuff. Thankfully the machine itself runs like a top for the most part.

All that said, if you don't want to mess with it, then my suggestion goes along with @Cowcatcher where you could probably sell high, wait a bit and then have a fully funded upgrade.
Ahhhhhh yes, if I had thought about it I would’ve told you about the 6.5cm shellplate 1/m conundrum. Went through that myself. What part are you needing warrantied?

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahhhhhh yes, if I had thought about it I would’ve told you about the 6.5cm shellplate 1/m conundrum. Went through that myself. What part are you needing warrantied?
I managed to screw up the little green nipple thing on the primer sleeve on the SDB. Not a huge deal, but dang that did take weeks to get a dang response on it. I used the time on the 550 instead.

What made me extra mad is that with that 60 whatever I spent on the 6.5 conversion I could have got the 6.5 Grendel. It's the same funnel, but different plate. Just kind of got me angry wasting my time trusting their site, then the guy on the phone wouldn't listen to what I was saying AND wanted me to pay shipping on the way back. I had to put in a call to one of their sales managers to get it straightened out.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I managed to screw up the little green nipple thing on the primer sleeve on the SDB. Not a huge deal, but dang that did take weeks to get a dang response on it. I used the time on the 550 instead.

What made me extra mad is that with that 60 whatever I spent on the 6.5 conversion I could have got the 6.5 Grendel. It's the same funnel, but different plate. Just kind of got me angry wasting my time trusting their site, then the guy on the phone wouldn't listen to what I was saying AND wanted me to pay shipping on the way back. I had to put in a call to one of their sales managers to get it straightened out.
I’ve got a spare parts kit. Good to have on hand. Cost bout $25. Holler if you get this way.
6ADB94D4-EA0E-4AB1-B34A-ACCC67C806CA.jpeg

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve got a spare parts kit. Good to have on hand. Cost bout $25. Holler if you get this way.
View attachment 191323
Dang! You had me tempted when I saw the LCR post a while back but I'm about 2000 miles from the Harps at the moment.

Edit....LCR, Smith, some type of wheelie that was tempting.....I just remember it was pretty.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have almost all of his upgrades and they work great. There is another seller named Armanov from another country who has been copying his products and selling them on eBay.
I need to get the roller upgrade for my camming pin. It has a GINORMOUS flat worn on it where it interfaces with the case insert slide. That fibre reinforced delrin/nylon/whatever is very abrasive evidently, because I've always kept it well lubed. But it just keeps rolling along...

ETA. Best I could do with the front facing camera on my phone.

IMG_6185 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All that 650 needs is some TLC. It can be adjusted for everything to line up and not throw powder everywhere. Like any other mechanical device, you need to learn it’s peculiarities.[/QUOTE
What this say..... look in you tube they have a lots of videos how to cure it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom