Dillon case feeder question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I have a Dillon case feeder on an old 650 that has worked well for several years. I bought the press and all accessories in pieces and there was some minor damage to the case feeder.

The 650 is pretty much dedicated to loading 9mm and I recently noticed that if I put more than 150-200 cases in the hopper it stalls and does not feed cases. Is this typical or can something be adjusted to improve the case feeder capacity? Or do I need to start buying parts?

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it stalling, or is the plate binding? The Dillon unit is somewhat notorious for an underpowered motor. There’s a a company that makes a stronger replacement.

Full disclosure, I have a 550 cause I’m too cheap to upgrade.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe there are two socket head screws on each shell plate that work like a clutch and can be adjusted. This won't help you if it in fact it is the motor bogging down.
Yep. This...

It could be slipping but mine has always been pretty weak. I just add cases to "top it off" regularly.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The case feeder on my 650 bogs too, so it must be a common issue. I’ve threatened to buy a new motor but haven’t loaded enough with it lately to get overly concerned.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe there are two socket head screws on each shell plate that work like a clutch and can be adjusted. This won't help you if it in fact it is the motor bogging down.
I don’t think it is bogging down. I like it quiet in the shop and I can hear the motor running. This might be the solution I was looking for. I will take the plate out and see if I can adjust the screws a little.
thank you for responding.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it stalling, or is the plate binding? The Dillon unit is somewhat notorious for an underpowered motor. There’s a a company that makes a stronger replacement.

Full disclosure, I have a 550 cause I’m too cheap to upgrade.
I have a 550 bought used and it is a very solid press. I load 5-6 different calibers on it and am constantly surprised on how easy it is to change. Even from pistol to rifle it just takes a few minutes and you are up and running.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t think it is bogging down. I like it quiet in the shop and I can hear the motor running. This might be the solution I was looking for. I will take the plate out and see if I can adjust the screws a little.
thank you for responding.
The screws I tightened are the ones on the case feed plate.

Attachments

• CA63DCFD-8B90-462D-A1B0-6F841B9332F4.png
    CA63DCFD-8B90-462D-A1B0-6F841B9332F4.png
    2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom