Dillon Square Deal B Owners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A 650 could be stored away fairly easily. One bolt removes the case feed. Two additional bolts will remove the tubular stand the casefeeder sits on if needed.

Although an added cost, a Inline fabrication quick change mount could be used to make it easier to remove and reduce the overall profile for storage. The base of the mount is available in 4 different sizes including a flat one. It may be used for other tasks at your workstation. Or you can use inserts and countersunk bolts to mount it so it can be quickly removed. This is what I did.

You might be placing too much value on auto advance helping speed. Autofeeding the components has the highest value foa adding speed. If you have to hand feed the case and/or bullets, flipping the index lever on a Dillon 550 adds no time to the process. It is also easier to fix a problem round in a press without auto advance. What is a quick fix in a 550, becomes a more difficult issue bucking up rounds in the stations on a 650. And really a time loss issue on a 1050.

The SDB is a good press for it’s designed use. Keep in mind that many people loading on Dillon presses prefer different dies. I personally typically use a Redding competition bullet seating die. I also usually use a Lee factory crimp die. One of my tool heads is currently setup with a Lyman M die to expand the case. I have a EGW/Lee die that sees some use. You lose those options with a SDB.

If you are thinking about a 650, I feel it has the most potential for rounds-per-hour by adding options than any other press short of a 1050.
I’ve see several in use without a casefeeder. Case feed frees up time by tossing them in the hopper vs feeding the correctly into the tube.
Adding a Mr. Bullet feeder speeds things up even more. With everything ready to load, I can easily assemble 1000 rounds on my 650 in under an hour (46-50) minutes.
For short runs (1000 rounds or less) it is hard to beat that even with an Auto-Driven 1050, although the AD 1050 is much easier on the shooting arm. Outside this scope, but the 1050 adds more features like primer pocket swaging and priming on the downstroke. This is as much a value as the speed increase.

All that said, I still do some load development on my 550. I still load some small batches of 100-300 rounds on my 650 without the bullet feeder to prevent changing it’s setup. But the 1050 gets fired up when I need to load 4000 rounds in ~3 hours.

Bottom line, get the 650 and do what it takes to help make it work with your storage/workspace issues. Or back off your auto-advance requirement and go to a 550 to have a more universal press for future needs.

Phadrian

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of good advice here. I agree with the others SDB is good if you never load rifle rounds. I too cast my vote for XL650. Both SDB and XL650 have mounts as an option. As someone said either the inline fabrication or the Dillon Strong mount will work. I know one user who would c-clamp his Dillon to his dining room table, load up a few hundred rounds then un clamp it and store it in a closet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom