Diners, Drive-Ins and Greasy Spoons..?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a stellar couple of burger joints in Ponca City. The first has its fans and detractors, Dixie Dog. Simple burger and curly fries are pretty good.

The other rules them all. I know it as 4th Street Burger, but every says it's Jim's Jumbo Burger now. Dynamite definition of a greasy spoon burger. Crinkle fries on the side. I dream about that burger when I haven't been home in a long time.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best onion burger I ever had was down in Hugo. The place was set up in an old passenger railroad car. Ate there bout everytime I went through on my way to my Dad's cabin on Raymond Gary Lake over by Ft. Towson. Can't remember the name but I sure did like those burgers with the greasy toasted buns.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best onion burger I ever had was down in Hugo. The place was set up in an old passenger railroad car. Ate there bout everytime I went through on my way to my Dad's cabin on Raymond Gary Lake over by Ft. Towson. Can't remember the name but I sure did like those burgers with the greasy toasted buns.

There’s a place in Heavner that is set up in a railroad dining car that was very popular with the motorcycle club crowd this fall.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's a stellar couple of burger joints in Ponca City. The first has its fans and detractors, Dixie Dog. Simple burger and curly fries are pretty good.

The other rules them all. I know it as 4th Street Burger, but every says it's Jim's Jumbo Burger now. Dynamite definition of a greasy spoon burger. Crinkle fries on the side. I dream about that burger when I haven't been home in a long time.
Yep, 4th street burger meets the street creds of a greasy spoon. Been awhile since eating there. I forget it's still open.
Dixie dog has been in several TV specials because they still have carhops. Unfortunately since the Kornblit's sold the store it's had its ups and downs.
Majir Korblit and his wife Myra were jews that were imprisoned by the germans during WWII in a concentration camp. They still had the numbers tattooed on their arms. Their son that I graduated HS with wrote a great book about them and their trials getting to the US and starting this business that they ran until forced to retire because of old age and health.
I always remember Majir making the curly fries in the front window with a manual crank machine. You knew they were fresh because you could watch him make yours. Everything fresh and made to order, delivered to the vehicle by the carhop in a brown paper bag.
The limeades were fresh. You saw them being made in the front window.
Most of their supplies now come from restaurant supply chains, like the other chain stores, but we still get the occasional burger there.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, 4th street burger meets the street creds of a greasy spoon. Been awhile since eating there. I forget it's still open.
Dixie dog has been in several TV specials because they still have carhops. Unfortunately since the Kornblit's sold the store it's had its ups and downs.
Majir Korblit and his wife Myra were jews that were imprisoned by the germans during WWII in a concentration camp. They still had the numbers tattooed on their arms. Their son that I graduated HS with wrote a great book about them and their trials getting to the US and starting this business that they ran until forced to retire because of old age and health.
I always remember Majir making the curly fries in the front window with a manual crank machine. You knew they were fresh because you could watch him make yours. Everything fresh and made to order, delivered to the vehicle by the carhop in a brown paper bag.
The limeades were fresh. You saw them being made in the front window.
Most of their supplies now come from restaurant supply chains, like the other chain stores, but we still get the occasional burger there.

I've only known the Anderson's at Dixie Dog my whole life. Admittedly, it wasn't as good when they built the new kitchen, losing so much burnt on flavor and such on that old griddle... But you oughtta swing by there sometime. They're back to being good these days.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've only known the Anderson's at Dixie Dog my whole life. Admittedly, it wasn't as good when they built the new kitchen, losing so much burnt on flavor and such on that old griddle... But you oughtta swing by there sometime. They're back to being good these days.
We ate there last week. Tom Anderson and I were buddies back in the day Saw him through the window but we were in a hurry and didn't get to visit. We both lived on south 10th st a couple blocks apart. He had the only Hodaka Ace 90 in town and I had one of the few Honda Super 90's.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We ate there last week. Tom Anderson and I were buddies back in the day Saw him through the window but we were in a hurry and didn't get to visit. We both lived on south 10th st a couple blocks apart. He had the only Hodaka Ace 90 in town and I had one of the few Honda Super 90's.

How funny! Not to highjack, but I had one of only two Honda Super 90's when I was in jr. high, and I only remember ONE Hodaka! Don't remember who rode it. The other fellow who owned an S90 recently bought one to be restored. Haven't talked to him lately about how that's coming. ok ... I'll hush and go back to my corner now ... carry on.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
uuuoi.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How funny! Not to highjack, but I had one of only two Honda Super 90's when I was in jr. high, and I only remember ONE Hodaka! Don't remember who rode it. The other fellow who owned an S90 recently bought one to be restored. Haven't talked to him lately about how that's coming. ok ... I'll hush and go back to my corner now ... carry on.

Lol, both of us were illegal. At 15 you could only legally ride a 50CC on the streets. We had to borrow a 50, go take the riding test and then got our 90cc models.

Latest posts

Top Bottom