dinner- where to take the wife 4 anniversary

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Vast or Mahoganeys.

Ranch is overrated.
Signature has crap ambiance (but good Risotto)
Everything else I saw is blah for anniversary (although RedRock/Neko are awesome for "Date Night")

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Signature Grill in Edmond. Not much to look at from outside. But the best food you'll eat and you'll love the price, even though it's not a factor for you. Use the extra money you woulda spent at overpriced places such as opus, boulevard, red prime for a nicer bottle of wine.

Get the risotto!

You will go back time and time again. I promise.

I was going to suggest the same.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our 25th is coming up, and this is where I'd like to take her for dinner.
How is the food?

it's been a little over a year, but IIRC, I had the mussels for an app and Filet Mignon for my entree, it was one of my top 10 meals for me. The wife had the lamb and had no complaints. I'm sure I had a piece of it and I'm sure it was good. (I tend to remember if it's terrible vs. excellent)

Obviously, its a little pricey, (I think we snuck outta there with a $200+ tab w/tip, 1 app, 2 entrees, bottle of wine and 1 dessert) but the view and service were great. We had drinks in the waiting area, it has some plush chairs which also overlooks OKC.

Plan for a few extra mins walking there from where you park and short elevator ride. They only had temp signs directing us where to go, but I'm sure it's all very easy now.

EDIT: Here's a link for the menu.
http://www.vastokc.com/menu/dinner

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well as per the recommendation of this forum, took the wife to Mahogany tonight. We have been big fans of The Ranch so I was intrigued that some think The Ranch was overrated and preferred Mahogany over it. We ordered the exact same thing as we do every trip to the Ranch so it could be an apples to apples comparison.

Appetizer: Crabcakes.

We much prefer The Ranch's Crabcakes over Mahogany. In fact, we had some Crabcakes at Red Rock Canyon Grill that were identical to the ones at Mahogany. It makes sense because they are both Hal Smith restaurants but the sauce is much better at the Ranch and there is not corn and peas distracting from the Crabcake itself. Plus you get 3 at Ranch vs the 2 at Mahogany.

Salad: Chopped house salad

I have to defer to the wife on this one but she said the Ranch was much better. She got a huge hunk of blue cheese that was not pleasant for her. Lol.

Sides: Au gratin potatos and Mac and cheese.

The potatos were quite good but I don't know that they were better than the Ranch. The wife said she liked Mahoganys better but not a huge difference.

The Mac and cheese at Mahogany had more of a white cheese in it and came across kind of bland to me. The Ranch's is much more rich to me and I prefer the Ranch over Mahogany in this spot.

The steak: 14oz Ribeye

Mahogany was a very good steak and they make a big deal about only using pepper, salt and butter for seasoning. However, I don't know if they do anything different at the Ranch but the flavor is certainly different at each place. I feel that The Ranch has the more flavorful steak. The wife felt they were more close in flavor than I did.

Service:

Now I know they were probably more busy than normal being v-day weekend and all but there was a fair amount of waiting for drinks and such. I won't knock them for service but it could have been a bit better. There is one waiter in particular at the Ranch that is awesome. Kind of an odd fellow but damn good at his job. They are not all as good as him. Probably call it a draw.

Ambiance:

Mahogany is a much more urban, formal setting. Almost felt under dressed but there were several others of comparable dress but I'm not one to worry too much about that stuff. The Ranch is more laid back and has more of a country feel. It is still formal but just more my speed for atmosphere.

Dessert: key lime pie

IDK as I was too full but the wife said it was just like the pie at Red Rock.

In summary, Mahogany is a fine restaurant but I still have a preference for The Ranch. Mahogany has many similarities in menu to Red Rock but at a much higher price. Plus you can not beat the bar at Red Rock. Really, I don't feel like you are giving up much by choosing Red Rock over Mahogany other than a prime piece of steak. For future prime steak dining, I will be sticking with the Ranch. Which is most definitely NOT overrated. I even still prefer it to Biernat's in Dallas.

hk33

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I agree with you. The ranch is better. Especially when they have their dry ages ribeye. It is hard to beat the flavor of 20+ day dry aged beef. I went to mahogony's two weeks ago and was disappointed. I sent my stake back for being way way too done. That's two visits in a row that I had to send back my steak. I have tried red prime downtown a few times. One time I went it was one of the best dinners I have had in OKC, the next time it was really below average. That's the issue with red prime very inconsistent. Plus the red light is kind of annoying.

Latest posts

Top Bottom