Dirt mound after mowing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any idea what causes this? Showed up a few hours after mowing.
No "center hole" like I'd expect from alot of things...couldnt see any insects in it.
Was about 10" across and taller than the grass...
I'm still learning the quirks of Bixby. Nothing like this in BA!

69053646_2313572458904796_7331644255288426496_n.jpg

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
best info from the experts.....http://pcwd.info/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/1994_Moles.pdf

I think they are going after June bug beetle larvae and similar...get rid of their food source by using insecticides ....."Reduction in soil moisture and food source removal by the use of insecticides discourages moles and generally results in lower populations."

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess moles here are different than Ohio and Nebraska. The ones we have had up there you could see their tunnels pretty easily, and they didnt make mounds like this.

I guess I'll be looking into solutions...this will get rather annoying if its a regular occurrence.

Thanks!

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A mole is smaller than a gopher, moles are more likely city type, gophers country type.. That size mound in a few hours leads me to believe gopher.. Not proven it yet but I've been told Juicey fruit gum will kill them.. I've bought the gum but haven't had time to mess with gophers.. We have more than 1 here.. Take a rod / long screwdriver and poke until ya find the hole, drop a 1/2 or whole stick of gum in and hope the said method works..

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its a gopher. We have both down here in the sandy soil. If you have tunnels on the ground that is moles. While moles will sometimes make small hills they always have tunnels. I tried all the crap to get rid of them the only thing that works is traps. I paid a guy to come trap one time and watched what he did. It was a $210 education for him to catch 3 of them tell me it would be good for probably a year. 3 days later I had new tunnels and hills.

Don't waste your money on poison worms or pellets. Gophers you want to open the holes and they will go into the traps. The two I used that work are the Cinch or the DK-2 both require you to open the hole into the tunnel. You put the trap in the open tunnel it pisses them off having air blowing in they walk right into trap to close it. Moles on the other hand will back fill an open hole and never go near a trap. For moles trap-line is the one that works. If you want more info you can pm me and I can give you full details and help you. I had to learn to trap these little suckers when I moved in. Here is my count since I paid the guy. I have learned a lot of tricks over the last few years.

Attachments

• mg.jpg
    mg.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 176

Latest posts

Top Bottom