Dirt mound after mowing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For gophers, I take a big screwdriver and poke holes in the ground in a circle around the mound until I feel a tunnel. Then I cut a circular hole through the tunnel so that there's a round hole, with two tunnels leading into it. Set the traps and push them into the tunnel so that if the gopher comes from the tunnel toward the hole, he has to push the trigger on the trap to try to get through.

Put a trap into each hole, then set the cut out of turf back over the hole. The gophers will come to a block in their tunnel and try to push the trap out of the way, impaling themselves in the trap.

Be sure to tie a string to the trap and anchor it outside the hole, I use the same screwdriver pushed into the ground, and tie the string off to it. Otherwise, they'll pull your trap backwards into the tunnel.

I use traps like these, a large screwdriver (or a piece of rebar, anything you can poke into the ground), and some string is all you need. It works most of the time.

https://www.amazon.com/Victor-Easy-...2&s=gateway&sprefix=gpher+trap,aps,220&sr=8-3

That will probably need some clarification....

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess moles here are different than Ohio and Nebraska. The ones we have had up there you could see their tunnels pretty easily, and they didnt make mounds like this.

I guess I'll be looking into solutions...this will get rather annoying if its a regular occurrence.

Thanks!
They make the tunnels. Sometimes they burrow deep and you don’t see them. Both moles and gophers make hills. The hills will be different. I believe the mole hills are like a volcano and the gopher hills aren’t perfectly round. They will dip in on one side. That’s hard to explain in words. I get these from time to time. If you do get tunnels the best trap there is, is a trap called wire tek easy set mole eliminator. I have killed about 6 over the last 2 years. The others I killed with my 12 gauge.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like more info on trapping moles.
Its a gopher. We have both down here in the sandy soil. If you have tunnels on the ground that is moles. While moles will sometimes make small hills they always have tunnels. I tried all the crap to get rid of them the only thing that works is traps. I paid a guy to come trap one time and watched what he did. It was a $210 education for him to catch 3 of them tell me it would be good for probably a year. 3 days later I had new tunnels and hills.

Don't waste your money on poison worms or pellets. Gophers you want to open the holes and they will go into the traps. The two I used that work are the Cinch or the DK-2 both require you to open the hole into the tunnel. You put the trap in the open tunnel it pisses them off having air blowing in they walk right into trap to close it. Moles on the other hand will back fill an open hole and never go near a trap. For moles trap-line is the one that works. If you want more info you can pm me and I can give you full details and help you. I had to learn to trap these little suckers when I moved in. Here is my count since I paid the guy. I have learned a lot of tricks over the last few years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom