Dirt mound after mowing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm hell on the gophers with the trapline traps. Never a miss. As soon as I see the mound I dig it out and set the trap(s) and within a few hours I've got a dead gopher or 2, and sometimes 3, depending on how the hole was built and structured.

I'm 0'fer with the mole traps. Zip. Zero. Nada. Can't catch a mole. Same brand of trap, just smaller, and I can't catch a cold with them.
Are you setting them back to back and closing the hole? A gopher will go into a trap to close an open hole. If you leave an open hole a mole won't go near the trap and will back fill further back.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you setting them back to back and closing the hole? A gopher will go into a trap to close an open hole. If you leave an open hole a mole won't go near the trap and will back fill further back.

I'm setting them back to back. I'll have to set some more to see if I've been leaving an open hole. I know this, the moles are way more destructive around my place than the gophers. Then again, the gophers don't last long around here.

I've killed a few by flooding the tunnels, and then watching the ground closely for movement, and then digging them out with a small potted plant spade or a mortar trowel. When I get them out on top the ground I stab the $%#@ out of of them, try to cut them in two, and then laugh maniacally. With the Good Lord as my witness, I hate moles.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
@jakeman Gophers are much easier to trap for sure. Check out this post if you haven't already I go into some detail on how to kill both kinds of the lil bastards. https://www.okshooters.com/posts/3262525/ let me know if you have questions. Make sure your closing the hole after setting and flagging your traps. Also on some hard ones I have to make sure and set traps with nitrile gloves on so they don't pickup a scent.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm hell on the gophers with the trapline traps. Never a miss. As soon as I see the mound I dig it out and set the trap(s) and within a few hours I've got a dead gopher or 2, and sometimes 3, depending on how the hole was built and structured.

I'm 0'fer with the mole traps. Zip. Zero. Nada. Can't catch a mole. Same brand of trap, just smaller, and I can't catch a cold with them.
We are in the same boat. Gophers can't escape me, moles have a free ride it appears. I did watch some YouTube video's about setting the traps for moles using a playing card to open up the holes so they are cleanly opened without collapsing the tunnels that looks interesting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would think most autos today the exhaust is not near as deadly as an old carbureted big lumpy cammed engine.
I have bagged critters in lawn and leaf bags and hooked them to new car exhaust and the time to go to sleep in many minutes, an old stinky No catalytic converter car puts them to sleep in under a minute.
I tried putting a plastic tub over some skunks I'd trapped in a live trap. Two at once. Put the hose under the tub and an hour later they were groggy but still alive. Those catalytic converters don't produce the carbon monoxide the old engines did.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried putting a plastic tub over some skunks I'd trapped in a live trap. Two at once. Put the hose under the tub and an hour later they were groggy but still alive. Those catalytic converters don't produce the carbon monoxide the old engines did.
Use your tractor or riding mower. It works

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if they eat sweet corn.
Could you get tiny treble hooks and put them into sweet corn and use braided fishing line to get them.
Just keep other critters from eating the corn.

Latest posts

Top Bottom